View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:50 PM

House Sharing / Diving up the costs how does it work ?

I think my sister is currently being ripped off to the extreme, however she's too darn soft to say anything about it.

She shares a house with a girl (lady is not appropriate at all! ) who has a 9 month old baby girl, now my sister was living with her before she fell pregnant and never had any trouble before. They shared a 3 bed house and all costs were halved. Even the shopping bill, this girl cooked the evening meal and my sister was 'Not Allowed' to cook (it's true my sisters culinary skills leave a lot to be desired but just thought that was a bit extreme ! )

Anyway they have lived together getting on 15 months now and things have been ok while the baby was young (baby's father is not interested) this girl doesnt work and has never worked, doesnt drive so she relies on M (my sister) to get her around. M was fine with this, as it wasnt that much running around.

However the last month house mate has gotten a new bf and one Saturday his stuff just arrives, M is informed that he's moving in. Righto, M gets along with the bf so didnt think anything of it but was quite miffed that she wasnt even asked or told. But she does think that great now there is someone else the bills/rent will be going 3 ways. Nope, they are staying the same as housemate and bf are sharing the room, the baby has been moved to the 3rd room and M is told that she still wants HALF the rent as they are sharing the room and M was only still paying half when the 3rd room was already empty. M lets this slip as she can see the point, however the food bill is still expected to be half, and all the utilities are expected to be split two ways as well, I've said this is absolutely ridiculous as well and told my sister this and it's only now she's getting pi$$ed off with it, she's made her excuses and gone to stay at mum's for two weeks. M has cats and they are staying at the house and the housemate will feed/look after them.

Was talking to M tonight and she has told me she recieved a text from the housemate still saying despite she wont be at the house for 2 weeks she'll still expect half the phone bill and utilities from M ! M works full time and the housemates bf has chucked in his job 2 weeks ago and they just lounge at home on the dole. So M is really paying all their living expenses

Just needed to vent as I'm so frustrated on M's behalf and AT her as she wont say anything as she's so damn soft and not one of lifes fighters. She doesnt want to upset the apple cart but at least I've gotten into her head that she's being used big time.

It got me thinking though how would the room situation/rent normally be worked out ? Does it go on the room or on the amount of people living in the house ?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Personally I think it should be split between the number of adults in the house. The food especially should be 3 ways. If I were your sister I'd say from now on you're buying your own food and label it!
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 06:11 PM
3 way split from where I'm standing.... sounds to me like they are taking the "P"
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Definatly a 3 way split, but I do have to agree with Becky and get your sis to buy her own food.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Definately a three way split, and tell one of them to get out to work the lazy blighters!! seems like they are sponging off your sister to me!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I've shared a few houses and bills (excpet the phone) were split equally. Food was bought individually, occassionally we'd buy togther, if we were going to eat together. House shares can be a real minefeld and if I were your sister..I'd be thinking about moving out I'm afraid.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 09:00 PM
That might be a bargaining point? If they don't agree to a 3 way split then you're moving out and they'll have to find the whole lot!
Becky
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 09:06 PM
3 way - otherwise she is subsidising them and there is no need for that!!! also what about when kid grows up will she be paying for kids food aswell??
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Definitely bills should be split 3 ways and all baby stuff should be bought seperately by them! If the house is hers i'd be giving her notice and telling her to sling her hook or pay her way!
I have a lodger and we agreed a price for the room which included all bills (except phone), he has his own car and i cook all the dinners so we buy all the stuff and simply ask him for 1/3 of all ingredients that go into dinner once a month. As there are 3 of us eating it.
Its only fair that your sisters housemate pays her fair share. Is the property rented or does your sister own it? If it is rented perhaps she should have a quiet word to the landlord that housemate has a boyfriend who has moved in and a child as this may be in breach of their part of the contract.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Sadly it's not owned, and Housemate her name soley on the tenancy so she can claim benefit for the house, so she's got M's rent as extra income. So M hasnt got a leg to stand on really if Housemate got arsey with her.

I'm just thinking now that M needs to wake up and see for herself that she's being used big time but she's to darn soft to say anything. So I think she'll just have learn the lesson herself the hard way instead of my parents coming to the rescue (again)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >