Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2014, 11:50 AM

An interesting view from a newcomer to showing

I came across the following article written by a newcomer to showing and thought it might interest some people.

Rather than quote some snippets from it, I thought it better to post the link to the complete article, so people could make their own minds about it, and would be interested in what they think about it.

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/...for-newcomers/
Ilovemypuggies
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2014, 03:15 AM
I agree with what she said. I used to show Aussies and when I first started people were so rude to me. I had a couple people laugh at my dog to my face. That same dog went on to win and beat all of theirs ALL weekend long (3 shows). After he won all of the sudden they wanted to talk to me.

I only lasted 2 years in the show world before I left. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-07-2014, 07:48 AM
I think there is an element of truth in the article, when I started showing Millie ( years ago) , we found a lot of hostility also found some very nice people, but with Figo it's been completely different , folk can't be nice everyone in the breed has made us welcome,his breeder is very supportive along with others..... That being said, you have to remember some people are not in it just for the fun, you have the hobby shower like me but you also have the serious professional kennel and they are not out for a days jolly, their aim is a win, they don't go for nothing less...and sadly this comes across in their attitude to newcomers....I think the larger the breed the more cut throat it can get....

It's like everything in life , you get all sorts what is evident though is it's not for the faint hearted, you need to be able to let criticism run off your back, and take an attitude of " a dog day out, and you bring the best dog home" regardless of placing.

You can't blame breeders for not giving their best dogs to other exhibitors , ofcause they will want to keep the best for themselves, you will be lucky to get a couple of show prospects in a litter, the breeder will keep one, and the stud owner may want one, so really not many left to go to another show home, and breeders will not want a dog in the ring with their name on it, if it's not good enough to show.

I was lucky my breeder wanted a girl, the stud owner didn't want a pup, and because I wanted a boy I had the pick ....my breeder was pleased as punch I wanted to show and has been there all along the way.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Page isn't found?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Page isn't found?
Sorry - I think it is because it was from a previous special article - will try to find it again. - no, the article has been removed. It was from a 10 July issue of Best In Show Daily report. Found the article title "What It's Really Like For Newcomers" but the article has been removed.

Did find a photograph but cannot post it, and this:

Jul 10, 2014 ... There has been some interesting material in Dog World recently about what attracts people to dog showing and perhaps more significantly ...
but the article itself has been deleted.

This will show you all I have been able to find.

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/searc...586j4874746j20