Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Sleeping issue

So you probably know, I have been complaining of feeling constantly tired and really struggling to wake in the morning just to get to work.

Brian has often complained that during the night I will be jerking in my sleep...you know, that dream where you are falling off a kerb or something and jerk yourself awake. The only thing is, I'm not waking up but I'm wondering if it's enough to be disturbing my sleep and make me feel really shattered.

I've mentioned it to the doctor but blood tests haven't revealed any other reason as to why I am so tired all the time. The only suggestion when I did tell the doctor about the jerking in my sleep years ago (and I was on two tablets of anti-depressants a day at that point, back to one now) was that it was the anti-depressants. I know I am busy a lot but tbh, half the time I'm coming home, thinking on what I have to do but not doing it till last minute.

So any ideas would be welcomed. I'm thinking about trying nite all or something like that.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Lore,I think its a case of system overload You never stop and you do have so much going on.Thats great,that you so much energy,but I think you burn yourself out sometimes.You're only human
If you go to bed with things playing on your mind,you won't have a restful sleep.My advice would be,change your bedtime routine..ditch the books an hour before,maybe have a lovely hot bath,light some candles,have some Lore time! You won't need to resort to night all,if you learn to relax,let go of the 101 things that are spinning round in your head.
Be like trying to have a good night's sleep,after running on a treadmill...it's not going to happen
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Lore I don't sleep very long anyway but if I find myself lying going over all the stuff I've got to do (I don't leap out of bed and do it) but what I find does help is I make a little list (on my phone usually on Note) doesn't look so bad then and I don't keep going over and over and round and round.

I am the world's worst procrastinator - I always will be - I work best under pressure and when I've too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

However I feel SO much better when it's all done that I kick myself and keep promising I won't let the crap jobs pile up again.

It's a work in progress. Whenever I do 'catch up' I feel like I've earned a Nobel Peace Prize and should have a medal pinned on me!

I'm procrastinating right now. Should be doing a couple of hours' work before going off to the beach with a pal at 3pm. Won't get started on it before I get back now and inevitably something will crop up that means pushing it even further back.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear this Lorraine, and if you're not actually lying awake at night, I don't see the point in taking anything to make you sleep. As Eileen has said there, you need to be in a more relaxed sleep when you actually get into bed, which you never are, so in turn, your brain never gets to be in that *ahhhhhh, we're going to sleep* state because you haven't really unwound before you get into bed if you see where I'm coming from, so it's kind of a ritual, that you just go to bed because you have to sleep even though your mind and body are still probably raring to go, hence the wrong type of sleep imo.

You also do too much and again, as Eileen as said, you burn the candle at both ends, what with work, study and then the home chores and Davie and Brian, but you probably take it all in your stride, but there comes a time when the body starts to complain and because you don't risten, it is then saying for Chriiiiist's sake let me get some proper rest, so makes you constantly tired most of the time.

Hark at me,. cos I'm just as bad as you are most of the time, BUT, I do sleep properly, I get the proper REM sleep cos I dream normally (that's questionable with some of the dreams I have though lol) and I slow down prior to taking myself off to bed, then I relax again when IN bed, by watching tv until my eyes start drooping and then I'm off like a light. It takes time and routine to master this, but you need to do it Lorraine.

If you do feel you've got loads of things still going on in your mind when you try and sleep, then keep a pad and pen by the bedside, and even if you never have to use it, your brain knows it's there, for you to jot down anything that's on your mind whether that be a *to do* or a *must remember*, jot it down and it'll get filed away in the back of your head. This has helped Dave a lot, but then he never sleeps unlike you, he's more like Linda, he lies awake half the night when he's going through a stressful period.

All the best, hope you get it sorted.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Lore I don't sleep very long anyway but if I find myself lying going over all the stuff I've got to do (I don't leap out of bed and do it) but what I find does help is I make a little list (on my phone usually on Note) doesn't look so bad then and I don't keep going over and over and round and round.

I am the world's worst procrastinator - I always will be - I work best under pressure and when I've too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

However I feel SO much better when it's all done that I kick myself and keep promising I won't let the crap jobs pile up again.

It's a work in progress. Whenever I do 'catch up' I feel like I've earned a Nobel Peace Prize and should have a medal pinned on me!

I'm procrastinating right now. Should be doing a couple of hours' work before going off to the beach with a pal at 3pm. Won't get started on it before I get back now and inevitably something will crop up that means pushing it even further back.
Stop procrastinating!! You'll go blind Get on with your work Woman
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Stop procrastinating!! You'll go blind Get on with your work Woman
Can't rush these things. Have just got back from the 'new beach' I was given directions for - total waste of time - ugly rocky old litter strewn strip. Stuffed my face with fresh baked rolls and hot dogs. Drinking my coffee now and THEN I will make a start!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 07:27 PM
I on occasion have not slept well and woken more tired than I went to bed some of that I put down to nights. But I do find if DO NOT give myself time to wind down before bed then I have trouble sleeping. I make sure no TV on room dark and try to follow a routine that tells my body getting ready for sleep now.

You have such a busy life - you need sleep have you tried something like a nice bath before bed
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2014, 04:55 AM
If you are having fitful sleep, there could be something underlying that a blood test would not reveal. Do you snore loudly? Like either sometimes or all the time? My father was having these sleep problems and it turned out that he had adenoids in his nose that had to be removed. After that was done, all his problems went away.

My extended cousin Randy was not so lucky and ended up having to use a CPAP machine to sleep soundly. It's a weird devise for people with severe sleep apnea, but it keeps them from dying or having really fitful sleep.

Have your doctor check you for those, if he finds nothing... maybe you are just worn out or are experiencing a bit of insomnia with the tossing and turning. Perhaps a new mattress is in order?

I have tons of sleeping problems, as i'm an insomniac so I've gone through a lot of this as well. I have no real health problems, it's just a part of who I am... I'm more of a nocturnal human. I won't take horrid drugs to help me sleep, why interfere with nature for no real reason?

I hope you find some relief! I know how hard it can be to always feel tired. *hugs*
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2014, 07:19 AM
MJ

My adenoids were removed when I was 5 (I have horrific memories of a nurse and my mother holding me down when they put the needle into my arm to knock me out).

I was told that the anti-depressants I have can cause it when I take two a day but I'm only on one.

I've been trying to make a point of relaxing at night to see if it helps. Unfortunately in the last week poor Brian has been sleeping downstairs cause I've been coughing like crazy during the night so don't know if it's made any difference...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2014, 07:52 AM
I see. Sorry you had to go through this. However, when I had my tonsils removed and got checked for adenoids... they used a mask to knock me out, not AWFUL needles.

Did you know that adenoids can grow back? If the issues are moderately recent despite you having taken the medication for a long time... it doesn't make sense that the medicine is causing it. Adenoids cannot be seen by normal mouth checks, so have your docs check for them again.

I assume Brian is your husband or live-in boyfriend/partner? I guess you're keeping him awake... what a horrible situation I'm so sorry for you. I have heard that intense aroma therapy can help. Doesn't help me worth a fudge... but I do it anyway for the lovely smells.

Also, I've heard it helps to warm up your house too much. Even though it's too warm... this extra warmth can help lull some people to sleep. Using earplugs and/or a sleeping mask might help, as well.

I find that sometimes, classical or mild electronic type music helps me sleep as well. Pachebel's Canon in D is a lovely piece that when played softly (and in the correct version)... has a nice calming effect.

I don't find reading helpful as I tend to simply get absorbed into the book and stay up all night reading through an entire thick book!! Like they say... a long bath might help, and if you drink... perhaps that might help, as well. Not a lot of course.

Also consider the small things such as... extra stress, pre-menopausal or something like that. When my mom first started realizing she was pre-menopausal the first thing she complained of was garbage sleeping and then being very hot at night. I don't know your age... but consider all things relative that perhaps blood test might not prove.

Not trying to go OTT, but consider your "relationships", as well. Think of all aspects of your life and then start ruling stuff out. All of this is important when trying to solve a huge issue such as this.

My distant aunt was having trouble sleeping, and it turned out that she had a new fluorescent light bulb that was bothering her (she was light sensitive or something, IDK) so when she closed her eyes... she saw this greenish hue behind her lids and couldn't sleep. Changed the bulbs, problems went away.

As someone who has LOTS of sleep issues and have tried everything and recommended everything else... I'm sure if this isn't something you're used to, some type of change in your environment or something is the cause and most certainly can be helped just as soon as you find it.

There are powerful drugs that can help but they are very bad for your health and can more or less turn you into a drug addict. I advise against them big time.

I have tried Ambien CM (I think, was a long time ago) and it left me VERY groggy in the mornings, even though i slept better it took me hours to actually "wake up".

Also, I was on anti-depressants long, long ago, so I know that taking them is important... even if they cause these types of unwanted side effects. Good luck!! I hope you end up feeling better. Again, sending serious vibes and thoughts because this hits close to home and I know how frustrating it can be.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >