Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Can a Dog have/develop OCD?

As the title says really, do you think its possible for a dog to have OCD or at very least tendancies towards OCD?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh yes,my Lona definately has OCD tendancies
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Yes - many dogs produce repetitive/obsessive behaviours as anxiety relief.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 05:55 AM
I've always said my Rowan has OCD tendencies! He has to walk on the far right of the pack, following the line of whatever is on that side, such as the car on the drive, the hedge, etc. Once he gets a route for a walk in his head, he will only take that route, even if it means deviating from the route I have decided to take that day. He's not happy if I change his sleeping arrangements, where his bowl is, etc, etc, the list is endless.

He is epileptic as well but I don't know if that has any bearing on it.

On the other hand, he is my agility dog in a million, never forgetting what he has learned and terrifically responsive in competition.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Absolutely Yes. Did you have any egsamples?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes they do. Click on this link for more info.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...searchers.html
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Animals exhibit obsessive / repetitive tendencies as a response to stress or environment. This is well known - as in zoo animals.
However, I personally really dislike the use of `human` labels for these behaviours (autism, OCD, depressive, etc).
It makes it appear we understand them - which we don`t.
It is hurtful / insulting to people who suffer from such conditions (IMO)
It is simplistic
It is unhelpful to the animal. By labelling it we tend to cease to look for a cause - and therefore a cure.
JMO.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Interestingly that Finnish DOGPSYCH project report states:

Early separation from the mother and the mother's poor care of the puppy were also found in the study to predispose dogs to tail chasing.

Early separation from the mother has been discovered to predispose also other animals to behavior, but this is the first time this connection has been made with dogs.

The amount of exercise the dogs received or the number of activities they engaged in did not, however, seem to have a connection with tail chasing.

This could be comforting news to many owners of dogs with compulsive behaviors, since often the owners themselves or the dogs' living environment may be blamed for these behaviors.

Although frustration and stress are likely to be significant causes of the occurrence of stereotypic behavior in for example zoo animals, they may be of lesser significance when it comes to Finnish dogs that are walked regularly.

The breeder of my own puppy felt it was normal to let the litter go at 6 weeks old, and all but my own little bundle of trouble left their mother at that age. I managed to delay picking him up till 10 weeks, on the basis that i would pay for all the vaccinations. When i last bought a puppy, in the 1980's, it was considered normal to seperate at 8-10 weeks. What is everyone else's experience?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 09:27 AM
My little diva dog, she can be a bit, she screams if she gets something wrong in training (overshooting the finish) not coming out the pond until she found the twig, if i dont catch the ball when she is placing it in my hand, more screaming, just lots of different little things like that
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I have a Freeads dog that chases her tail she can't help it has to do it. It impossible to stop even if you distract her as soon as you stop it starts again. Stress or excitment start her off. If we laugh or do anything other than talk she will start If I am dishing out her food or anything she will start the only danger I can see is somtimes she will bash her face on something whilst doing it.
When I got her she had never been walked and was kept in a court yard with only seaguls to bark at I thought maybe when she had some exercise and good food she would calm down but No two years on and she still does it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >