Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Is this fraud??

Hi folks,
I have been given some information 2nd hand and would like to know what you guys think.

We know a couple who are having money problems one is employed the other self-employed.
From what they have told me they have a large amount of debt (over £10k). They have been down the debt consolidation line, IVA's etc and have finally got something in place to reduce the debts & pay back those they owe money too.
The self-employed one has been signed off work and I have been told they are using this time to reduce the payments to a really low figure like £1.00 a week however I know that the person is still going into work ( it's a job a bit like a hairdresser who rents a chair) and therefore earning anything upto £400.00 per week.

To my mind this is fraud but I'd really appreciate your view on it & what you think I should do (if anything) about it.

Many thanks in advance

Nxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I would say yes - as for what to do? its a tough call i dont envy you xxx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 02:51 PM
when you say signed off work do you mean claiming benefit such as SSP ?
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
I would say yes - as for what to do? its a tough call i dont envy you xxx
I know its a really hard!

Originally Posted by Inca View Post
when you say signed off work do you mean claiming benefit such as SSP ?
I have been told they have been off a couple of weeks with depression and as if they don't work they don't bring home any money I would assume they would claim SSP or incapacity benefit, but that is part of my problem as I don't know for certain if they are claiming.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:04 PM
If the doctor has signed them off sick for 2 weeks but they have chosen to work cos they cant afford to lose the money then i dont think its fraud.
However if the doctor has signed them off work and they are claiming incapacity benefit then that IS definite fraud. Earning £400 would be way outside the amoutn you can earn in paid work while on benefit.
I dont think self employed people can claim SSP as this is claimed directly from an employer.

I suggest you subtly find out a bit more before you do anything. Wouldnt be very nice for them if they werent doing anything wrong to be investigated by fraud!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I am a fulltime carer 24/7 for my father in law for which i get well under £200 per month If I worked as well I could earn the princley some of £80 per week before I lost my carers allowance, So £400 , I shoulnt think so!!!!!!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:37 PM
hiya

i was self emplyed so if i was off sick i didnt get paid - dont think you can claim sick pay if you work for yourself ????
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:39 PM
You can claim Incapacity benefit if you are sick from work (regardless of employed/self employed) but you need to be up to date with all your national insurance contributions.

I think self employed people can get special accident/sickness insurance but they dont get SSP. Not 100% on the insurance thing tho as i've never been self employed
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Why are you considering shopping them?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hiya

i was self emplyed so if i was off sick i didnt get paid - dont think you can claim sick pay if you work for yourself ????
yes you can

SSP you can claim this no matter how much NI you have paid as long as you have accounts for earnings
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >