Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Solved one mystery

Think I've mentioned that the Ayatollah Minpin has been more 'barky' since I moved into the new apartment?

Well I've been STUDYING her!

At the old flat I'd had the 'gaps' at the corner ends and middle of verandah closed off with a wooden slatted panels (coz when she was a pup she could have fitted through - so she only had a 'view' across to other apartments, roofs and things in the sky!

Here, I've left the gaps as she now can only get her head through and thought it would be nice for her to 'see up the road' too.

It was the mystery barking at my front door that puzzled me coz there was NEVER anyone there and I assumed she could 'hear the lift' just the other side of the stairs even if I couldn't.

However my studying of Bella the barking menace has shown that what is happening is ....

She looks out the gaps at people coming towards the block. They go out of sight once they get closer (under the verandah heading towards her) and she IMMEDIATELY scampers inside and straight to the front door and starts yapping. She obviously thinks they are HEADING FOR US and will appear at door as soon as they go out of sight!

Not bright enough to consider that we are four floors up obviously!

I did an experiment and put stuff in front of the side gaps so she couldn't see down to the road and pavement. Then put a little 2 drawer chest in front of the centre gap (her favourite) so I could push it side to side letting her see/not letting her see. She stopped the barking at the door immediately!

This is great news. Means I don't have to go over there, open the door, say 'SEE? There's NO-ONE there!' to stop her barking! (That's what I was having to do before - she stops instantly when she can see there is no one outside).

Dogs! huh!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Its takes time sometimes doesn't it and like you have done to watch and study the behaviour to work out what the problem is. Well done Sherlock.

Dillon use to till recently hasn't done it since his op hear the postman coming down the path at the side of the house and would run in and stand at the top of the hall waiting to hear the gate go and the postie to put the mail in the box. He also use to hear people knock on the door of neighbours and come running in all excited thinking it was our door.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Awww clever Bella.
Isn't it great how they can work so much out. All that was quite logical.

Kick back Tang with a cuppa safe in the knowledge that there is no one at the door
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 03:17 PM
In the sitting room I have a big picture window which looks over the garden. The TV is on the opposite side of the room and if Chloe is sitting on the sofa and the TV is on she can 'see' people in the garden because of the reflection and rushes to the back door to scare them off
I close the curtains and the invading people disappear .

Dogs can be very simple sometimes
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Pat - I actually think Bella was really clever associating someone walking toward the door of the flats and then waiting for them to come to your door .... clever girl, albeit incredibly annoying for you and probably other residents Well done though for working it out.

Some dogs are more clever than others. One of my dogs can definitely see the images on TV ... the other can't. If a dog is on the TV and barks, one dog runs to the front door and the other one runs to the TV and then looks behind it.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 06:31 PM
They do keep us on our toes don't they. Something had to make sense - if she is not a normaly barky dog for nothing.