Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Can dogs develop Alzheimer's disease?

Pepsi is now 19 years old (JRT). Very active and very smart.

However she has started showing some very odd behaviour. She just stands stock still wherever she might be and stares straight ahead. Because she is almost totally deaf it is difficult to break her from it without touching her. ( she is almost blind too)
She paces, back and forth, back and forth. I'm finding this the most difficult to deal with. There is no reason that I can find for it and it becomes irritating especially as her nails click clack on the hard flooring.
She can go days, literally, without eating, unless I hand feed her.
She will suddenly jump up when asleep and run around the room, then lie down again and go back to sleep.
She has been a bit like this for a while but I think it has got worse since my husband died in March.

Any ideas?
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2019, 09:47 AM
The short answer is yes they can suffer from dementia. Maybe a vet can give you something to help. She will no doubt be missing your husband which is sad for you as you are both in the same position but she can't tell you. Hugs to you both.

My last elderly Afghan went a bit senile in that I would have to rush out of the bedroom first thing in the morning and let her out or she would wee but at no other time. I would then have to take her into the bathroom as it seemed she thought I could disappear from there, any other room was fine. Sometimes she took herself off into a corner and just sleep.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Yes they can Nippy. I gave one of my old Border Collies when he got like it Conium Mac. Helped a lot. It is homeopathic so you would probably have to get it online from Ainsworths. She is probably using her other senses like feeling tremors under the floor or her nose, which is incredibly sensitive to things going on around her. Then of course her memory will remind her about something hence the jumping up from being settled. Just try to be patient with her and give her a soothing stroke and she will find that relaxing and help you to.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2019, 10:50 AM
All she wants to do is sit on my lap. I let her as much as I can. Good job Im not very mobile and spend most of my time in a chair! S o she is getting lots of cuddles and strokes, thinking about is though she always sat with Brian. I think a lot of this is that she is missing him even after 3 months.

Yes she is a bit incontinent too Sue. Unfortunately I cant hurry anywhere. I put old towels on the kitchen floor at night because that is where she "goes" then I can just scoop them up into the washing machine.

I will continue to be patient and next time someone is kind enough to take me to the vet I will discuss it with him.

Off to Google Conium Mac see if I think that will help.

Thanks x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2019, 12:00 PM
It's not Alzeimers as such it's canine cognitive dysfunction. My prt Tyler developed it at 14 so Pepsi is doing really well. I'm sure part of it in her case is not only her age but losing Brian as they spent so much time together and he did all her walks. Take her to the vet and he may well prescribe Vivitonin which might well slow it down. Hugs Nippy.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Nippy I have read what it says in my book written by Geoffrey Llewellyn, BVSc, MRCVS and it say's Conium Maculatum 30c for the dog who is confused. He/she is not sure where he wants to be. He needs company when he is alone and wants to be alone when he has company. As dogs grow older their behaviour may change. This is due to mental senility. Hope that helps you and Pepsi. I also suspect that she is missing Brian so Ignatia would help but also time.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Sorry to hear this Jenny missing Brian for both of you cannot help either.

Xxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I have to admit I freaked a bit when I read that Conium Maculatum is Hemlock!!

Anyway I think that she is improving. She is starting to eat normally again.
She is roaming less and providing she gets her treats and is able to sit on my lap she seems happy. When I go to the vets I will still have a chat with him.
So for now at least I will keep my fingers crossed
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Nippy with homeoapthy you have to remember that it is an infinitestimal dose. You couldn't even see it with the naked eye unless you have fabulous magnification. Which is why homeopathic medicine is so mych better than conventional medicine. In my experience it worked for me. And no a dog doen't know what we are giving it unlike us that are sometimes sceptical about it. Lots of farmers use homeopathic medicines now because they don't like using anitbiotics etc. Anyway I hope Pepsi continues to improve and also you.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Thanks Brenda, I suppose I did know that but my initial reaction was Im not giving my dog Hemlock

She is quite a different dog now to when I wrote this post. but she has always been a difficult animal
Onwards and upwards!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >