View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Looking for a new DSLR camera, advice please folks!

Have been "seriously" into photography for quite a while now, and have been using a variety of different camera's (some of the old film ones, holga's etc, and the main piece of the nikon d40) now I brought the Nikon D40 in I think it was end of 08/start of 09 as wanted a very simple DSLR to use and it has been good to me. But as tends to happen, it's now got to a point where I'm rarely satisfied with the pictures and quality produced...half the time they lack that "zest" that you want from a DSLR produced image, and I end up binning most of them.
So I'm looking for suggestions for another, better DSLR, would like something quite decent that cuts the mustard. It doesn't have to be the latest model at all, as I'm not one for moving with every techno advancement there is, but has to be quite a well reccomended model. Will be used mainly for animals, kids, landscape, outside etc. No particular price range as i'd pay the right price for the right camera.
But I think it's time to put the Nikon D40 back in it's box for good,
Thanks in advance
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Nikon d800? If you wanted something really flashy maybe look into a pro camera, but they do cost!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I had the Nikon D40 for about 4 years and last summer I upgraded to the Nikon D7000.

I still need to learn lots of things. But its a good camera
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks both, will check out both suggestions. Want to step up, but not too much of a leap so will investigate further!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks both, will check out both suggestions. Want to step up, but not too much of a leap so will investigate further!
That was my thought too And I must admit it HAS been quite a step up, sometimes I get frustrated and want to give up.

I'm having lots of problems with my focus Getting it put correctly (not easy to explain in english )
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I had the Nikon D40 for a few years and IK was just like you with regards to not being happy with the images.

I decided to get a Nikon D90 and I am happy with it.

Some staffies. Sadly it was pouring with rain....

Super dog by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I think it depends on how you use a camera and what your current camera can't do.

Lacking 'zest' could be due to a number of things:

lack of sharpness (which is often due to the quality of the lens rather than the camera, or to camera shake, missing focus etc).
lack of contrast. If so, there may be in-camera settings that you can adjust to get a bit more contrast.
lack of 'background blur' - if you want your subject to pop out more than the background, again this is a lens thing rather than the camera.

What lens(es) do you have? If you already have some decent nikon ones and you are thinking of upgrading, it might be sensible to stay with nikon.

If you only have the 'kit lens' it might be worth looking at investing in a better lens (and one which you can continue to use if you upgrade to a better camera)
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks folks, my main issue is I think I've simply outgrown the camera and gotten used too everything it can do and got used to the same quality and type of pictures, think it's just time for a change. I've just traded in quite a few lenses due to lack of use, at the camera shop. I shoot with quite a few (off the top of my head I couldn't detail which ones!) but again think I may have simply used the camera to death, and ready for something a bit different.
Have a few in mind, think I'll stick to Nikon purely from a practical side of having a vast collection of kit for Nikon.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Gone for the nikon d90 after lots of deliberation, the quality im looking for and a sensible price too. Thanks for all the help folks