Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Kennels or not?

This is a general question but are kennelled working dogs better workers than house kept working dogs?

And what are the pro's and con's of working dogs being in the house and those in kennels? (working dogs of any kind, pastoral, gundog, utility etc)
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 02:15 PM
In my experience, no but I can see why people say a kenneled dog is better to train, which leads to better worker. The thought behind it is that they aren't "ruined" by family members giving them lots of different commands and they are far more eager to please if they aren't around you all day.

I have had good working dogs which have been kept in the house and I have had good working dogs which have been kennelled.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 02:53 PM
my brother doesnt keep his security and close protection dogs in the house. He did with the first few but has found them much better at their jobs now they are kenneled. But he does give each dog 2 days off a week where they get to go on walks and play in garden and do normal dog things
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't think that kennelled working dogs make better workers than those that live in the house.

I do think that if a dog is only brought out to work then it is possibly keener to work and more eager to please, but much depends on each dog individually as well.

The majority of my hubby's working sheepdogs live outdoors but he does have one inside and she is as keen to work as the outdoor dogs - and is a better hill dog than some of the others ... but that has nothing to do with where she lives, it is more to do with her drives for work being higher than some of the others.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 03:17 PM
A friend of mine has been a police dog handler for a long time. He found that keeping them in the house produced a better bond and in turn worked better. The dog enjoyed 'switching off' at the end of the day with the family.
I can see why a lot are kept outdoors too, particularly if you have a very large pack.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2011, 07:18 PM
It is a myth that dogs that are kennelled work any better than dogs that live in the house.

It is true that a dog can be desensitised to its name say in a house full of kids.

But several top handlers I know who have children and grandchildren solve that problem by having a "pet" name that everyone uses, whilst the handler uses their "own" name for the dog!

Sometimes people just do not bother to think outside the box!

You may find this food for thought.

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/52/97/
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your replies guys, it was interesting to see your opinions, thoughts and experiences.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Brilliant article SmokeyBear.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
At work there are two kenneled workers and two housed workers. All are good at their jobs and all are FTCh etc

Down to personalities of the dogs.