Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have heard that putting something up the attackers behind works.
I would love to meet someone who has used this method and it worked

if you stuck somit up my dogs ass, he would be very pissed off at you, target number two me thinks...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Some of these suggestions are downright DANGEROUS!

Please don`t try to put something in a dog`s anus. If you do the dog will probably bite you. Why do you think the vet has you hold the dog`head firmly when taking temperatures?

Taking hold of the dog`s back legs and lifting is a good method, and relatively safe because the dog can`t get at you easily. However, don`t let go until someone else is there to help.

If you feel another dog will attack yours, walk briskly away.
If you are unsure of another dog, don`t allow your dog to spproach.

In 40 years of walking dogs, mine have been attacked only twice. My dogs rarely approach other dogs and have good recall.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Meh, who cares what method is used as long as it works. If pepper spray was legal in this country, I'd use it in a heartbeat on an aggressive dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Meh, who cares what method is used as long as it works. If pepper spray was legal in this country, I'd use it in a heartbeat on an aggressive dog.
I`m sure you would.

eta - sorry -that was a bit*hy comment. I withdraw it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 01:46 PM
sometimes throwing a jacket over the head of a dog that has a grip is enough to get it to let go.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m sure you would.

eta - sorry -that was a bit*hy comment. I withdraw it.
Why? I'm sure I can handle it.

The fact of that matter is, no one really knows how they are going to react in the heat of the moment. It is all good and well talking about it, but doing it is a whole other ball game. You do what you can at that given moment and react on instinct. The last fight I had to break up, or help break up at least, was between a loose greyhound and a Yorkie. Greyhound had Yorkie clamped firmly in it's jaws. What did I do, yup, you guessed it, stuck my hands right in there and tried my darnest to pry the poor dog from the other dogs jaws. Stupid thing to do perhaps, but I didn't think about it; I just did it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
So has anyone got any advice in the specific situation of small dogs being attacked by a larger one?

As Cheeky Chi said this isn't a situation where the dogs can be left to sort it out and I know picking up little dogs is not a good idea, so what's the best course of action??

Thank goodness this has never happened to us and I have to say if it did I think Pepper, my Mini Schanuzer, would jump in to protect her brothers but she's hardly a big dog herself!

J
Protect your dog with your calm assertive body ! Get your little chap on his lead behind you, and protect him from the larger dog by blocking him with your body. You can use your voice, shouting No at the dog, or Down, or something like that, but do not go off on one at the owner at this stage, even though you might want to! Save that till later ! Once you have "rescued" your little ones, THEN you can attack the owner !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=hectorsmum;1687884]
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

Thank you...........he is

just for you

Gasp gasp and a hundred gasps !! WHAT a lovely dog !! Hector, I am in love. So that's Tai, next door's GSD and now Hector who I have sworn undying love for !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Gosh, some of you guys are very brave ! I am 5' 8" of solid rippling muscle (actually, I lie, 5' 8" of solid wobbly FAT more like it !), however, the words brick and outhouse are relevant here, but I would be loathe to part SERIOUSLY fighting dogs, they move so damned QUICK it is all a blur, and as Labradork says, you do not know what you are going to do in the heat of the moment.

when that blasted Airedale attacked my darling Hal when he was peacefully minding his own business on HIS drive, I was so lucky to have had that hose pipe lying there all switched on and ready to blast ! Actually, there was another occasion when this dog had escaped from his garden and was wandering on our drive. He is a nasty, aggressive little sh 1 t, but I just grabbed his collar, and marched him back to his garden. When I opened the gate, he growled at me, and I barked "No" at him and pushed him through, marched him to the front door and rang the bell. The owner was very worried when I told him what I had done, and asked me if I was OK ! I said of course I was, he growled at me, but I just told him No, and brought him back. A few months later another next door neighbour was badly savaged by this dog when he walked into the property and rang the door bell. He had no idea the dog was out, it crept up behind him and had him.

Now there's a dog who deserves the anal treatment, the kick, the tail pull, the leg grab AND the hosepipe ... all at the same time !!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Gosh, some of you guys are very brave ! I am 5' 8" of solid rippling muscle (actually, I lie, 5' 8" of solid wobbly FAT more like it !), however, the words brick and outhouse are relevant here, but I would be loathe to part SERIOUSLY fighting dogs, they move so damned QUICK it is all a blur, and as Labradork says, you do not know what you are going to do in the heat of the moment.

when that blasted Airedale attacked my darling Hal when he was peacefully minding his own business on HIS drive, I was so lucky to have had that hose pipe lying there all switched on and ready to blast ! Actually, there was another occasion when this dog had escaped from his garden and was wandering on our drive. He is a nasty, aggressive little sh 1 t, but I just grabbed his collar, and marched him back to his garden. When I opened the gate, he growled at me, and I barked "No" at him and pushed him through, marched him to the front door and rang the bell. The owner was very worried when I told him what I had done, and asked me if I was OK ! I said of course I was, he growled at me, but I just told him No, and brought him back. A few months later another next door neighbour was badly savaged by this dog when he walked into the property and rang the door bell. He had no idea the dog was out, it crept up behind him and had him.

Now there's a dog who deserves the anal treatment, the kick, the tail pull, the leg grab AND the hosepipe ... all at the same time !!
Yikes...that dog sounds like a piece of work. Wouldn't fancy living next door to that.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >