View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Just dreadful. My staffie was rescued from a puppy farm which was raided by RSPCA and Dogs Trust (11 years ago) and she was pregnant when I took her on at 11 months. Really is so upsetting to think that someone has 1000 breeding bitches. Why oh why can't something be done about this.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:59 PM
There are obviously not enough laws to safe guard dogs against such abuse. Absolutely sickening and some of the video clips taken at such farms, deeply, deeply disturbing.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Makes me sick.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:54 PM
There is no 'they'
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:12 PM
There needs to be strict legislation against this, and the sooner the better because unfortunately there are still plenty of people who are happy to buy from puppy farms.

Many years ago, my parents - having just had their dear old dog put to sleep - were approached by the vet and asked if they would be interested in rehoming a"breeding machine". To cut the story short, the little dog had been kept in a dark shed along with several other bitches and had produced litter after litter for this puppy farmer. Her coat was a matted mess and she was blind. My parents DID take her on, and after a complete clip under anaesthetic she emerged as a beatiful Lakeland terrier, but her spirit was broken and her sight never returned. She lived out her life well cared for and loved, and my parents did all that they could for her - but surely if her story, and stories of thousands of others like her, were constantly in the media then people would start to take notice??
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I have been running my own dog grooming business for the last two years. I am shocked at how uneducated a large number of the public are regarding buying and bringing up a dog.

I have had a lovely lady call me saying the bichon she picked up yesterday is a funny colour. She brings it and it is 5 months old, stained badly in wee and had a severly damaged eye....but the breeder said it would be fine

A lady who bought a dog de bordoux, 24 hrs ago and says it also stinks and can i wash it. It arrives aged 13 months old, has just had a litter and breeder sells it. Which didn't seem to be an issue to the new owner, I made a joke about the dribble it had hanging from its mouth and the new owner said rather seriously "it won't do that regularly will it, i couldn't put up with that" Poor poor dog.

It happens over and over again, people just don't seem to have a clue, i just don't get it.

I have heard numerous times about puppies being bought, and they where "on their own" in the a cold out building so they just had to have them. But joe public still buy them over and over again and hand over hundreds of pounds in the process.

As for the kc mentioning about the accredited breeders scheme in the programme last night, a friend of mine has been "approved" and the kc have never done any checks as far as i am aware. Yet she is on the list. I remember her saying a while ago, she was suprised that no one checked on her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I thought there was a law stating that unless you own your own home, council and rented properties are only allowed the maximum of 3 dogs.

And I know of two people who have more than 3 dogs - about 5 more each and have had the RSPCA called out yet nothing has been done?

In that article you posted Murf - they needed more pictures - and more room left for the imagination in the writing, the pictures would back up the writing and in the individual reading it - make the act worse - not that it isn't a horrendous thing to do anyway.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Is it more likely they would be a licenced breeder?
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
A quote from the newspaper article says it all: "We are all in it for the money. The more pups we sell, the better for everyone"

Here is a link to the article on this scum bag:
http://sites.google.com/site/puppyal...armingsireland
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
As for the kc mentioning about the accredited breeders scheme in the programme last night, a friend of mine has been "approved" and the kc have never done any checks as far as I am aware. Yet she is on the list. I remember her saying a while ago, she was surprised that no one checked on her.
How many litters have they bred since joining the ABS ? I had a phone call from a KC "Inspector"who wanted to visit my home to assess my "kennelling" Told them I don't have kennels & my only breeding bitch wasn't even 16 weeks old at the time. They told me that the intention is to visit all ABS members in time, usually after a litter has been registered
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >