View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Coat clipping - in pet dogs. Should the coat be clipped or left natural?)

I am learning how to care for my pet cocker spaniels coat, using scissors and a coat king.

Although I am not keen on the clippered look, I am definitely not cutting his coat to 'show' standard - I am cutting it to make it easy to care for on a day to day basis....

I have read various comments over the last few months regarding peoples opinions of clipped and 'shorn' dogs; and thought I'd throw it open for discussion. One of the stronger comments I have heard is that "people who clip their cocker spaniels should have a short haired breed instead"

What do people think? Should clipping the coat off be avoided at all costs? Should a pedigree dog always have its coat groomed into a showring style/standard?
SheWolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2005, 05:17 PM
I think it's ok to clip "pet dogs" but you should consider that the coat is not only protecting the dog from cold/weat weather but also against the sun. And the coat can change it's structure if it's cut and be less effective against dirt/water.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 05:26 PM
We keep our yorkie close clipped he seems happier like that and we don't have to spend so much time getting him untangled when on wooded walks. Should we have got a short coated dog ? No I don't think so he is happy and so are we and at the end of the day that's what matters not if his coat is correctly cut for the show ring. We have altered the appearance of dogs so radically over the years I don't think any "natural" dog would have a yorkie coat they would die out very quickly if they did.
Gill W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2005, 05:52 PM
One of my boys gets clipped but I leave his feathering so that he still resembles a cocker I don't see the point in getting a long coated breed and then clipping all the coat off
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 06:19 PM
My Yorkie has a very close clipped coat too!
I keep it a little longer in winter, but in summer it all comes off!

He looks stupid with long hair!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 06:26 PM
My brothers dog gets clipped as it makes life easier at certain times of the year, should they have bought another breed? Absolutley not they love the dogs personality, its size shape.......Some people trim Staffords tails for shows, should they have gone for a breed with no hair at all? LOL no you choose which breed is right for you and your personality and lifestyle, okay the hair requirements come into it as does everything else but at the end of the day personality and suitability is what counts. Probably not coming accross as I should but you get my jist.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I think each to their own -if you want to clip and it makes life easier then whose to complain??
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Surely you have to clip anyway to keep the dog tangle free?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Surely you have to clip anyway to keep the dog tangle free?
sometimes !!!!!!! i personally prefere to groom every day it's eathier a job you love or hate ...and i love it
I did however have a funny 5 mins last month and stripped Pippa's coat as i had lots here going on ..I must admit i regret doing it now as i love to see her well groomed and looking nice

think each to their own
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Must admit to only having had short coated dogs (well only staffys of my own) and havent got this dilemma
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »