View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I've never smacked my dogs, never would and it's something I feel strongly against, though I will change my tone of voice when I need to and they know that I mean business. I am also totally against e-collars/shock collars, whatever you want to call them, they are barbaric and cruel.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've seen people pat their dogs harder than some people smack!
I don't think violence works but if a dog has got to the state that they are no longer able to respond how would you interrupt that behaviour?
I think most of us here would and some have said they would, use violence towards another dog if their dog was being attacked so to say you'd never hit any dog I don't believe you as I think the circumstances would have to come into play. If I was being attacked by a dog trust me I'd use whatever means I could to stop it.
Becky
Very good point Becky,I wouldn't stand back and watch a dog attack me or mines either and can't believe others would either,xxxxxxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 03:18 PM
No definitley not I would do all too.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
a smack would probably sting for longer.
depends on how hard you smack! i would never smack hard enough for any pain to be inflicted let alone sting....
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't smack but occasionally Dingo will be tapped on his bottom to regain his attention when we're out the house. We will raise or voices and clap our hands when he's naughty because he doesn't like the noise.

Heidi
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I think I'd feel I'd failed if I resorted to to hitting. I know I'm not the world's greatest handler and I'd feel as if I was punishing the dog for my mistakes. Also Dale is so sensitive that he wouldn't forget in a hurry.

I've got similar concerns with ecollars. Personally I'd worry about how to judge the levels. Pain thresholds differ between individuals. I've also heard of a case where a child appeared just at the moment the dog was shocked and from then on he reacted badly to children.

I have known people who say these collars have helped but I suspect like hitting they could easily be counter productive.

Really I think its impossible to judge which is worse hitting or ecollars. It depends on exactly what you mean by hitting and how the collar is used. For myself I'd rather plod on with clickers and rewards and different tones of voice.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I said I wouldn't raise my hand to my dog, as per the original question.
If another dog attacked mine, of course I would defend it. That's a whole different question.
pawsdirect
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Sure there was a song about this...."smack my bitch up"

Seriously, its a no-no

Dogs pick up on aggression...a dog thats ruled by fear is an unhappy dog IMO, and with certain breeds that leads to a dangerous dog........
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by pawsdirect View Post
Sure there was a song about this...."smack my bitch up"

Seriously, its a no-no

Dogs pick up on aggression...a dog thats ruled by fear is an unhappy dog IMO, and with certain breeds that leads to a dangerous dog........
I think you are spot-on there, actually. There is a higher chance of a dog being aggressive (both dog-aggression and human) if it is smacked as punishment, IMO, as there is a good chance that one day the dog will get sick fed up of being smacked that it may decide enough is enough. JMO.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not a habitual smacker and my dogs do get a smack on occassions but they generally never do anything to warrant something that extreme. Obviously i'm against beating dogs but I see no harm in an occassional slap on the backside.

If I see somebody else doing it to their dog if it's been misbehaving I dont think anything of it neither. If they kept repeatedly smacking it then that would be a beating and at that point they've crossed the threshold IMO.

And yes, I was smacked as a child, with implements as well as the hand!

So I believe an e-collar is worse than a smack.
Page 4 of 64 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 > Last »