View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Excellent posts Imac and Jackbox. I am VERY pro Greyhound racing but get sick of being targeted for rescues to take a pop at, which is why I refrained till now.

The industry does need to change, more responsibility taken by owners and trainers, but NOT ALL owners and trainers, those that are at fault, who's dogs are discarded but can be traced easily enough. I spoke to a well known Greyhound rescue recently. Upon asking how many owners they try to trace through ear tattooes, she replied "none" I was astounded, she said that they did it a couple years ago but as only about half would donate financial help, so why bother? Why bother? For flips sake, if half offer to help, thats half the battle!

I will always be a fan of Greyhound racing, I never want to see it banned, I enjoy my friends who train, I enjoy watching their dogs train and being a part of that, always will.
Dawn.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Finally someone else with my thought
You are not alone in your thoughts,!!! I think we all agree, that there are elements of all animal sports that will attract the bad with the good.... this does not mean we should abolish these sports for a minority... tighten the guidelines/regulations...

Where did your cousin used to work?

God, now I am going back 35 , 38 yrs..... to long to remember,

it was in Liverpool, cant remember the exact place.

But I will never forge those dogs, we use to go there for 5 am in the morning to start kennel duties, the highlight of my day was exercising them...

None of those dogs where mistreated, they where all well loved , had loving owners who used to come an visit as often as the could.

Sure there is a seedy side to it, but show me something that doe`nt.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Excellent posts Imac and Jackbox. I am VERY pro Greyhound racing but get sick of being targeted for rescues to take a pop at, which is why I refrained till now.

The industry does need to change, more responsibility taken by owners and trainers, but NOT ALL owners and trainers, those that are at fault, who's dogs are discarded but can be traced easily enough. I spoke to a well known Greyhound rescue recently. Upon asking how many owners they try to trace through ear tattooes, she replied "none" I was astounded, she said that they did it a couple years ago but as only about half would donate financial help, so why bother? Why bother? For flips sake, if half offer to help, thats half the battle!

I will always be a fan of Greyhound racing, I never want to see it banned, I enjoy my friends who train, I enjoy watching their dogs train and being a part of that, always will.
Dawn.
I knew you couldnt keep quiet.

I must say I wouldnt want to see it banned, but the whole industry does need to take stock and sort out the problems.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Dawn.
Completey agree, if you enjoy it ,why should you be denyed watching it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I knew you couldnt keep quiet.

I must say I wouldnt want to see it banned, but the whole industry does need to take stock and sort out the problems.
It was in response to this Stprmey:
I Mac sorry to pick on you but you do seem a rather lone voice in support of the industry
when Spot knows damn well how I feel but I did say on the last thread I was sick of my agreement with racing being rammed down my throat. I felt I-Mac needed to know he most certainly isnt alone!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 01:55 PM
It was in response to this Stprmey:
I Mac sorry to pick on you but you do seem a rather lone voice in support of the industry
when Spot knows damn well how I feel but I did say on the last thread I was sick of my agreement with racing being rammed down my throat. I felt I-Mac needed to know he most certainly isnt alone!
Thank you, it is appreciated! I was pretty certain I wasn't alone

I get fed up of everyone criticising racing, based on media hype! I would be quite happy for someone to give examples of the atrocities they have personally witnessed, or some of the cruelty!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 02:25 PM
That's fair enough, but is sled racing taking advantage of of the dogs too! Sled racing is the greyhound racing of the Northern countries! It is still gambled upon, it's just not as big yet!
It is not gambled on, as I've already said !

As for taking advantage ?? Go to a rally and watch a dog who's never been fitted with a harness, but who's instincts are so inherantly strong that the urge to pull takes over

You cannot force or take advantage of a determined, stubborn sled dog (which they all are) to pull in harness, it's natural to them.

You can only lead a horse to water, you cannot make them drink !
spot
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Thank you, it is appreciated! I was pretty certain I wasn't alone

I get fed up of everyone criticising racing, based on media hype! I would be quite happy for someone to give examples of the atrocities they have personally witnessed, or some of the cruelty!
I had just typed out another long response to some of your points as I really thought we were having an interesting and polite discussion. (Ive copied it for anyone who might wish to view it) Im sorry you feel that all those against have no idea what they are talking about and only go on media hype, obviously theres not much to discuss further if thats your opinion. I could say that I find it sad that those for blame the media for all thats wrong with the industry but that would be a generalisation. Maybe your right and the atrocities are all made up by the media or those with something to gain from the end of commercial racing or maybe some are just to sickened to go into detail. The only piece of my response I will put is this

Because I would condemn anyone that has stood idiolly by whilst the Negatives have happened! PLease could you tell me how they greyhounds are made to chase! Every dog that is on the track are ones that chose to chase. Jade is one that chose not to!

Yet you support the industry that for the last 80 years has stood idly by and done nothing about any of the negatives and still isnt? Yet blast someone who will not support an industry they disapprove of? I have one that didn’t have the chance to find out – broken toe – dumped on the street picked up from a pound when her time was up! Another yep loved to chase was good at it too – dumped into rescue when to old. Now I know those supporting the industry see nothing wrong with this happening and that’s their opinion but why do the same people condemn puppy farmers when they dump their used up dogs?

I have fostered dogs coming out of yards full of ticks, fleas, with horrendous teeth, so fearful of humans its pityful to see. One of my own whilst loves her mum is very scared of any new man she meets. Ive transported dogs in pretty bad conditions but then again it all could be media hype.

I would ask if you feel the way about all things people disapprove of? Do you have to witness first hand the atrocities before you can have an opinion?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I have one that didn’t have the chance to find out – broken toe – dumped on the street picked up from a pound when her time was up! Another yep loved to chase was good at it too – dumped into rescue when to old.
Did you trace the owners Spot? Name and shame them, tell people who they are! Id be happy to list them all on my website for you with pictures of said dogs if you like. NOBODY wants to see any dog harmed in any way, for those doing it, TELL them first, if they offer no assistance, either financially or any other way, then name and shame them.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Did you trace the owners Spot? Name and shame them, tell people who they are! Id be happy to list them all on my website for you with pictures of said dogs if you like. NOBODY wants to see any dog harmed in any way, for those doing it, TELL them first, if they offer no assistance, either financially or any other way, then name and shame them.
Just a quick nip back in (you know why Dawn ) no couldnt trace them her tats have been scrubbed and the closests we can get to them is a brown dog - ermmm not the thing on its back one of the sofa then
Page 4 of 157 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 > Last »