View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:19 AM

Are there any breeds with no health issues?

With all the things I've been reading recently about known problems with various breeds and the relevant checks you should do before breeding etc., I just wondered....

Are there any breds with no known health issues?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't know, but I blame the breeding?breeders, sometimes they are bred too fine......sorry to all those good breeders x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Some will claim that their breeds are but if you dig deep enough you will find something.
Becky
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Hali all dogs suffer with one thing or another the same as humans.

The best thing you can really do is to fully check out the breeder and also the bloodline of the puppy.

So I can't be of any more help as I really don't know about anyother breeds other than Dobes.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I think it's probably luck of the draw, depending on the dog. Even a well-bred dog, whose parents were always healthy and has good health for generations may be unlucky and fall foul of some illness, disability or disorder. All you can reasonably do is check out if your potential dog could be at risk (i.e. a parent with something wrong), get all the necessary tests and examinations done with a good vet and then keep your fingers crossed!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Are there any health problems with JRT's as I have been owned by three and all of them lived to really good ages with no problems
I think all breeds have at least one health issue probally, I have been really lucky every dog I have had has never, had a health problem associated with that breed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Are there any health problems with JRT's as I have been owned by three and all of them lived to really good ages with no problems
I think all breeds have at least one health issue probally, I have been really lucky every dog I have had has never, had a health problem associated with that breed.
Luxating Patellas
Legg Perthes Disease
Glaucoma
Hereditary cataracts
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:30 AM
And Primary Lens Luxation as well!
Becky
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that, how embarassing I have had three of the little terrors and didn't know. Have to admit,all three were rescues so it was complete luck of the draw I suppose anyway.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Thanks for that, how embarassing I have had three of the little terrors and didn't know. Have to admit,all three were rescues so it was complete luck of the draw I suppose anyway.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but as JRTs are not a recognised breed the KC dont keep a record of health screenings or anything so you can be forgiven for not knowing

Both of my breeds have hereditary problems, but ask almost anyone in the breed and they'll tell you they haven't I think as long as you breed carefully and do all of the health checks then you can improve the problems. PRA is a big thing in labs now, but breeders are really being sensible and testing all of their breeding stock, and breeding their dogs accordingly so that we're not producing dogs that will go on to be blind... But then the puppy farmers are churning out dogs that haven't even had hip scores or eye test for about 5 generations and it makes you wonder why you bother spending hundreds of £££'s when people will buy those dogs, breed them, sell the pups that may well have HD and be blind in a few years, and just ruin all the hard work anyway

I personally think that the KC should not register puppies from parents that havent had breed average or below results in whatever health screening they recommend.. But thats just me!

*Rant over*

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >