Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Yes mines a glow worm boiler Inca Is yours a back boiler?
no foxy my back system was taken out ..its still gas but runs from a tank in the loft ...back boiler systems are great wish i hadn't taken mine out..... if your rad is the living room isn't on then the thermo will not shut off cos the room isn't warm enough

corgi man says constant temperature all over the house is more efficent and better for ya boiler as long as the rads have some heat its fine

and NO he isn't gorgeous just 35yrs experince with gas central heating thats why i love him
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
...back boiler systems are great wish i hadn't taken mine out...
We had one in my old house - 24 years old and running like a dream - I wish I'd brought it here with me When the one here dies I think we'll invest in a modern back boiler system. You can get really smart gas fires to go with them - cost a fortune though
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 07:05 PM
no foxy my back system was taken out ..its still gas but runs from a tank in the loft ...back boiler systems are great wish i hadn't taken mine out..... if your rad is the living room isn't on then the thermo will not shut off cos the room isn't warm enough

corgi man says constant temperature all over the house is more efficent and better for ya boiler as long as the rads have some heat its fine

and NO he isn't gorgeous just 35yrs experince with gas central heating thats why i love him
I have been all over the house now and all the radiators are on - except the kitchen where we haven't got a radiator
Thanks for all yours and Corgimans help Inca

And also thanks to everyone else who has posted on this thread
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Who'd have thought that a thread on central heating would be such a hit? Are we feeling the cold ladies?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Who'd have thought that a thread on central heating would be such a hit? Are we feeling the cold ladies?
not now we got all the rads on .....nope we are nice and warm LOL
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes I never expected to get quite so many replies
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Yes I never expected to get quite so many replies
well thanks to corgi man we are all warm now lOL

Foxy i had probs last winter my kitchen has a rad but the new conservatory dosen't and i found trying to heat 2 rooms with one rad expensive so the thermo was saying it was too cold ............

welll we are all warm now so AMEN to that
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
well thanks to corgi man we are all warm now lOL

Foxy i had probs last winter my kitchen has a rad but the new conservatory dosen't and i found trying to heat 2 rooms with one rad expensive so the thermo was saying it was too cold ............

welll we are all warm now so AMEN to that
Well I haven't had any heating in my kitchen now for about 13 years - stupid ex hubby fitted a kitchen and didn't think about the radiator being in the way and so he took it off and it never got sorted. I just have one of those portable ones that you plug in now for when it gets really cold.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 08:13 PM
if the pipe work is there you can just put one in ... we did it last week when ours burst it was £15 from B&Q
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Well, as sad as this is, I've just been having a conversation with my Dad (who was an Energy Efficiency Engineer??) and he has told me loads of really helpful stuff I could tell you - if I wasn't a tinsy bit tipsy and had forgotten!

I'll see if I can get him to read this and reply to answer some of the questions.

One thing I do remember is he agrees with this:
Ah but, the more radiators you have in use, the more quickly the water cools, so the more work the boiler has to do to keep it at a constant temperature. Basically your rooms get heated by heat transferring from the hot water to the surrounding air, so wherever a room gets warmer, more enrgy is being taken from the hot water, so boiler does more and you pay more.

So it would be cheaper to switch off some radiators in the loop. Also look into getting thermostatic controls for each of your radiators. These go in place of the normal tap, but close off when the radiator gets hotter than it needs to. Means you don't have to rely on a central thermostat, and can have different rooms at appropriate temperatures - nice and cosy in the sitting room, cooler in the kitchen and so on.
Although he was against thermostatic controls for individual radiators - but I can't remember why? I came on here to help.....honest!
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >