View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
micki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
i had 3 yrs of eating no red meat and gotta admit i missed it like crazy.. ( nothing like a bacon & egg butty).. we've only gotta look at our teeth to see if we should be veggies. Our teeth suggest we should be consuming some meat.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
what the heck was wrong with the flippin toilet
Couldn't hold it in long enough to reach the loo!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Couldn't hold it in long enough to reach the loo!
Pickles must have been absolutely disgusted with you...lol
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but he is most days!

He's the brains behind the whole operation!
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by micki
i had 3 yrs of eating no red meat and gotta admit i missed it like crazy.. ( nothing like a bacon & egg butty).. we've only gotta look at our teeth to see if we should be veggies. Our teeth suggest we should be consuming some meat.
The jury's still out on that one....

"The human teeth, the molars, are formed to grind grain. The front teeth, the incisors, are for fruits, etc. It is therefore quite apparent, according to the implements for eating, man's food is intended to be grain and not meat. When mankind is more fully developed the eating of meat will gradually cease." ('Abdu'l-Bahá, from Star of the West, Vol.III, No.10, p.29)

"Although we think we are one, and we act as one, human beings are not natural carnivores. When we kill animals to eat them, they end up killing us because their flesh, which contains cholesterol and saturated fat, was never intended for human beings, who are natural herbivores" - William C Roberts, MD Editor, American Journal of Cardiology
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 01:36 PM
But then there's this..........

"As intriguing as these arguments may be, the idea that humans are natural vegetarians has "no scientific basis in fact," argues anatomist and primatologist John McArdle. Alarmed by this growing belief, McArdle, a vegetarian, says the human anatomy proves that people are omnivores.

"We obviously are not carnivores, but we are equally obviously not strict vegetarians, if you carefully examine the anatomical, physiological and fossil evidence," says McArdle, executive director of the Alternatives Research and Development Foundation in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

According to a 1999 article in the journal The Ecologist, several of our physiological features "clearly indicate a design" for eating meat, including "our stomach's production of hydrochloric acid, something not found in herbivores. Furthermore, the human pancreas manufactures a full range of digestive enzymes to handle a wide variety of foods, both animal and vegetable.

"While humans may have longer intestines than animal carnivores, they are not as long as herbivores'; nor do we possess multiple stomachs like many herbivores, nor do we chew cud," the magazine adds. "Our physiology definitely indicates a mixed feeder."

If people were designed to be strict vegetarians, McArdle expects we would have a specialized colon, specialized teeth and a stomach that doesn't have a generalized pH-all the better to handle roughage. Tom Billings, a vegetarian for three decades and site editor of BeyondVeg.com, believes humans are natural omnivores. Helping prove it, he says, is the fact that people have a low synthesis rate of the fatty acid DHA and of taurine, suggesting our early ancestors relied on animal foods to get these nutrients. Vitamin B-- 12, also, isn't reliably found in plants. That, Billings says, left "animal foods as the reliable source during evolution."

History argues in favor of the omnivore argument, considering that humans have eaten meat for 2.5 million years or more, according to fossil evidence. Indeed, when researchers examined the chemical makeup of the teeth of an early African hominid that lived in woodlands three million years ago, they expected to learn that our ancestor lived on fruits and leaves. "But the isotopic clues show that it ate a varied diet, including either grassland plants or animals that themselves fed on grasses,""

For anyone interested in reading the article here's the reference (I know you won't be interested!)

Deneen, S. (2002) Body of Evidence: Were humans meant to eat meat? E: The Environmental Magazine 13 (1) pp 33
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't think our teeth are particulary designed to be carnivor teeth...

But if we are not natural meat eaters why did cavemen hunt and eat meat?...It's not a new trend is it...lol
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I don't think our teeth are particulary designed to be carnivor teeth...

But if we are not natural meat eaters why did cavemen hunt and eat meat?...It's not a new trend is it...lol
No I don't think you can class 2.5 million years+ as a new trend!

I really do believe we're omnivores, we like a bit of everything!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I really do believe we're omnivores, we like a bit of everything!
About sums me up...lol
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by micki

Funny you should say that, but my OH decided to go veggie for 4 years and it was the bacon butty that tempted him back.....lol.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >