Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
There's a word for people like that - drunks!
Not in Orkney it isn't, it's too darned cold!

Snorri
(Malt whisky fuel consultant)

Yes perhaps thats the word

I'll put me thermals on before I come up there - or is it down there - you're not near Austrailia are you?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
That sounds great Steve - I'll just go and pack my suitcase
It is nice here Foxy-this is a link to our towns website with piccys!

http://www.stives-town.info/album.htm
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Nice, Mini! I wish I could still trundle up hills (I used to walk the Grampians, in my Uni days) - and I have a particular liking for the music of Elgar (he's not all "Land of Hope and Glory"!)

From my windows, small though they are, I see islands and lighthouses. From the end of the road, I can see mainland Scotland, and, unfortunately, the golfball-like thing which is Dounreay fast-breeder reactor and leaky nuclear dump. Ben Hope and Ben Loyal are clearly visible when there's no fog or peeing rain.

Unfortunately, my best view is currently being blocked off by the farmer next door, who seems to be fencing his land with barns - and there's no planning consent needed for them!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...l/FerrySMH.jpg

a goodly portion of the right hand side of this view has now vanished behind concrete blocks and corrugated iron. A large chunk of what attracted us to this house in the first place

Snorri
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Last year I decided that I didn't want to live ANYWHERE in Britain or the UK so I emigrated.
Any regrets? Yes - that I didn't do it a lot sooner! Life is a lot sweeter now.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Yes perhaps thats the word

I'll put me thermals on before I come up there - or is it down there - you're not near Austrailia are you?
If you think it's "down there", you've been stalking the wrong person! There's not even a sign saying "Ramsay Street"

Snorri
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Having lived in most corners of Scotland, some good and some not so good, I now live by a small village called Killearn, in Stirlingshire. It's 15 mins from the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond in which I sail my boat, 30 mins from Glasgow & Stirling and on the fringe of the "Trossachs" national park. A mile up the road in Balfron is one of the best state schools in Scotland (wish I'd gone there myself; I might have learned somthing). The people are very friendly and open in the main and it has some of the best pooch walking territory north of the border. And I love it. Even in the rain.

If it was'nt so remote I'd like to live in somewhere in Wester Ross, surrounded by the majesty of the hills, mountains and countless lochs. Oh yes, and the countless midges.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
Last year I decided that I didn't want to live ANYWHERE in Britain or the UK so I emigrated.
Any regrets? Yes - that I didn't do it a lot sooner! Life is a lot sweeter now.

Where did you emigrate to then - and do you want company?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
If you think it's "down there", you've been stalking the wrong person! There's not even a sign saying "Ramsay Street"

Snorri

Thought it was a bit hot, to be honest :smt017 - there was some good views on the beaches though
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Catmelodian
If it was'nt so remote I'd like to live in somewhere in Wester Ross, surrounded by the majesty of the hills, mountains and countless lochs. Oh yes, and the countless midges.
I can relate to that, but, IMO, the more remote, the better, in a lot of ways! I guess i struck it lucky here - very few neighbours (so I can play Pavarotti at full blast ) and only a mile to the pub (which is enough to prevent me from diving in all the time!). Nobody to complain if the dogs bark; we can spot visitors long before they get here (usually).

There are downsides, of course, the price of petrol being one (about £1 a litre in town this week) and the time it takes for things to get here. The other thing is that when you phone a company "doon sooth", they usually have no idea where we are. One visitor we had needed to call out the AA - when we told them the postcode, they said it didn't exist!

Up here, we do tend to suffer from the attitude that we're just "a bunch of peasants on a handful of rocks off the north of Jockoland", which is bl@@dy annoying! We consider people like that as retards (which is much how they seem to regard us). We get used to it, but it doesn't mean that we like it - being remote does not imply stupidity, just that we've had enough of being surrounded by the retards!

Personally, I prefer sheep as neighbours to besuited merchant bankers!

Snorri
min_tbs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Hello. I'm moving out of England to Australia in 8 days. I was there for a year recently and loved it. So I'm going back for 3 months on a tourist visa then might get another visa to study and live out there. I'll miss my dogs way too much though I've only been back with them for a few months and I'm going again. (oh by the way, I live with my mum n dad while I'm here, the dogs do too, they don't just get left )
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »