Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 05:56 PM

Areas to live in Britain

here's a question for you...carefully worded - If you were unhappy in your current town in the UK where else in the UK would you move (within your current affordability bracket)?

Or if you are absolutely happy where you are, could you say where and why?

Thanks
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Alnwick definately! it's fab, great beaches and woodland nearby for the dogs, really friendly people and BARTAR BOOKS!!!! woo hoo!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 05:59 PM
All I can say is I'm NOT happy with Bristol, the schools are absolute c**p, the council are shutting libraries, swimming pools, sports centers, schools all over the place and building new ones miles away..........hence the reason why 3 of our children go to North Somerset schools.

Just haven't a clue where I would like to live.......so if anybody lives somewhere that is good with the above, I'm eager to hear too!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Im quite happy living in Cambridgeshire,East Anglia.

Its nice and flat so no hills or mountains to climb while doggie walking.Its also quite rural,so provided you dont mind getting stuck behind the occasional tractor doing 15mph-life is sweet!

I only have to walk less than 10 minutes from my house to get into open countryside where its everso peaceful.

There are 5 schools which all have a good reputation.Our town is a bit restricted though due to most of the buildings being listed so they cannot be developed.

Couldnt ever live in a crowded city!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Im quite happy where I am Glasgow has got its good and bad points. If I could move I would move up to somewhere in Speyside up in the highlands. Nice and peaceful with plenty of nice walks for the dogs.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

19-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't like where I am - they are building so many new homes I'm sure we're going to end up joined to Edinburgh and Glasgow

I'm thinking about somewhere in Perthshire but I'm not sure yet - still looking
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm quite happy here in Orkney (after all, it used to be my preferred holiday destination - I just made it permanent when an opportunity arose!). The weather could be better ( it's pretty "breezy" a lot of the time, and it catches winter earlier - and keeps it longer, than in most of the rest of the UK), but the scenery is wonderful, and, by and large, the locals are friendly and helpful (there are a few exceptions, just like anywhere else). I don't have kids, but I hear that the schools are good - they get good inspection reports.

The area is definitely kid-safe (perhaps too safe, as a friend said to me once, they don't grow up "street-wise" and find it hard if moved elsewhere : I can see it might be the case, but I don't KNOW for sure). The Council even lays on taxis to get them home (which means that the likes of me can't get one at certain times )

The place is peaceful and quiet, and has an excellent low-crime rate (we don't even need to lock doors when we're out, although - Edinburgh habit - Mrs S and I do) - our door is never locked at night, as was the case even before we had a dog. The local food is excellent (meat, especially, as it's all grass-fed, as is the milk) and the shops are full of "traditional" bakery stuff.

"Tradition" isn't all good, though, as it can lead to the attitude "We've always done it that way, so why change?" - so new ideas can take a long time to get here, especially the good ones!

When I came here, I found that my store of very old Edinburgh jokes were sparklingly new in the local pub!

See my wee website for a half-decent idea of what it's like to look at.

One of the probs is that everything has to come by ferry or plane, which makes thgings slow, and often more expensive than they need to be (the bottled gas we use for cooking costs us £10 more than my cousin in Aviemore has to pay!). There are no branches of big stores (Woolworths and Boots are all), but that's no real loss

It's a popular destination for some retired folk, so you must never take anyone "for granted", or you may get a surprise (like a retired Chemistry professor running a rather bad restaurant*).

Housing is cheap, by today's ridiculous standards (something like Snorri Mansions might cost around £50K, with its land included. NB - I'm not selling!).

Dog-friendly beaches and pubs (but get to know the local landowners first).

I used to live in Edinburgh, but I don't really fancy going back there; maybe the remoter parts of Western Scotland?

Snorri
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Ahh yes Orkney... if only, dreams are free! It looks out of this world.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
; maybe the remoter parts of Western Scotland?

Snorri
Such as this.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...and/Corran.jpg
which is the village of Corran, in far west Inverness-shire. The road to Corran stops there, if you want to go any farther, you have to WALK

It's just along the road from a place called Camusfearna, which was where Gavin Maxwell used to live (He wrote "Ring of Bright Water", about his life with a pet otter, called Mijbil). The film starred Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna - it's perhaps a bit romanticized, but it's beautifully photographed. Gavin's cottage was demolished when he died, but I gather that the otters still go there.

I used to live in Edinburgh, it's a good city, as cities go - I just got excessively tired of city life and decamped to Orkney. It was awkward moving, but not too hard. Work colleagues used to ask me why I wanted to come here: the answer was "Fewer morons per metre" (and fewer prats in striped business suits, clutching matching mobile phones). Some ex-colleagues visit occasionally, they don't ask the daft question after they've seen it!

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
It looks out of this world.
LOL! Sometimes, you get the feeling that it is! Or, at least, has fallen off the end!

Snorri
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »