Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Has anyone else broken their wrist?

Hi everyone!

I had a nasty fall last Saturday when walking one of my dogs. I simply tripped on the curb and landed on the side of my face on concrete. Luckily I was not too far from home and managed to walk back. I had a nose bleed and a throbbing head.
I knew I couldn't get hold of Katies lead and had to use my left hand instead. When I got home was obviously very shaken up. My right wrist was very painful and the next day was swollen and bruised and I had a black eye!

We went to the minor injuries unit and then had to go on to Margate hospital A & E. I had some X Rays done and then waited ages to be seen by the doctor. When I was eventually seen it turned out that the fracture was displaced (I was hoping it was not fractured - as I'm right handed too). T he doctor pulled the bone back into place and then I had whats called a back-slab put on.
I have to go back next Weds for another X ray and a fibre glass cast put on which hopefully will be a bit more comfortable.
I am wondering if anyone else has any experience of a wrist fracture being displaced?
It is a bit of a struggle with everyday things such as dressing, baths, hair washing/drying etc. but am managing. Luckily I have my husband here to walk the dogs etc.
Forgot to add that I still have numb teeth on the upper right side and my front tooth has actually moved! I am hoping this numbness will go eventually.
Feeling quite down at the moment as I was just getting over a slipped disc when this happened! What fun!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Ah Twigs,you poor babe...so sorry
Haven't fractured my wrist,but did break my arm and thumb.both clean breaks,had my arm in a cast for several weeks,it healed really well.My thumb was a bit more complicated and has never really gone back to normal,bit mis-shapen But I don't get any pain in either,its like it never happened really
Maybe be a good idea to have your teeth looked at,since there is movement there
Fingers crossed you'll be back on the road to recovery in no time(( hugs))
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Oh dear, yes it's painful I did it 3 times each time the same dog ! She used to twist if I held her collar and 3 christmasses I ended up in plaster my husband began to think it was deliberate so he had to cook the dinner and wrap the presents !
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah I broke my wrist, my horse stood on it, my fingers are still a bit of strange shape
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Never broke my wrist my worsed touch wood is a dislocated thumb but I work in theatre mending broken bones so if you have any questions I can try help answering. Hope your feeling better soon
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks for your replies. It sounds as if all your breaks healed reasonably well!
I
I have my usual dental check at the beginning of June and want to get my wrist sorted first.

I think I am getting a bit worried as the fracture was displaced and that it may move again, but from what I have read on the web surgery on wrist breaks is quite rare now.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
Never broke my wrist my worsed touch wood is a dislocated thumb but I work in theatre mending broken bones so if you have any questions I can try help answering. Hope your feeling better soon
thanks Kat, I am a bit worried as the fracture was displaced and we never saw the X Rays as they are all on a computer now. I worry in case it has slipped out of place again. They said that from next week it will take 6 - 8 weeks to heal.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I was in plaster for 12 weeks altogether I think
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I was in plaster for 12 weeks altogether I think
Gosh that's a long time, was that for a wrist fracture?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Yes, it was pretty well broken after being stood on by half a ton of horse lol. I've still got the dents in my fingers, you can make out the horseshoe shape to this day lol
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »