Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
i hope the dog is ok....
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow---well done KC! (three words I never thought I'd hear myself say!)

Well done JH---it wouldn't have happened without her.

rune
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
TBH its only going to be a basic vet check too, they dont have the time or space for fancy things like xrays ect. So to fail that its sending a very clear message that while the judges think its ok the dog isnt fit for function . .
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
A major leap forward and hopefully one which will make the breed clubs sit up and take note
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
TBH its only going to be a basic vet check too, they dont have the time or space for fancy things like xrays ect. So to fail that its sending a very clear message that while the judges think its ok the dog isnt fit for function . .

yep and its this that makes it good, if they are not allowing dogs with exagerated features to take their BOB then the judges are going to have to stop awarding BOB to dogs that are obviously taking breed standards to the extreme as has been fashionable in recent years
pam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Just read the bulldog and peke both failed their vet checks and wont be in the groups !
where is it going to end
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
TBH It's sad it's got to this. Still well done KC. Hope this doesn't send them screaming for the hills and they keep going.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
A statement from the KC
No dog representing the Pekingese and Bulldog breeds will compete in Thursday evening’s Best in Group competitions at Crufts after they failed the new veterinary checks that have been introduced to the show.

The Best of Breed award was not given to Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, or Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million, following their veterinary checks, which were carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means that the dogs will not be allowed to continue into the Toy or Utility Best in Group competitions respectively.

The Kennel Club has introduced veterinary checks for the Best of Breed winners at all Kennel Club licensed General and Group Championship Dog Shows from Crufts 2012 onwards, in 15 designated high profile breeds. This measure was introduced to ensure that Best of Breed awards are not given to any dogs that show visible signs of problems due to conditions that affect their health or welfare.

The fifteen high profile breeds are as follows: Basset Hound, Bloodhound, Bulldog, Chow Chow, Clumber Spaniel, Dogue De Bordeaux, German Shepherd Dog, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Shar Pei, St Bernard, French Bulldog, Pug and Chinese Crested.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: “We are determined to ensure that the show ring is a positive force for change and that we help to move breeds forward by only rewarding the healthiest examples of a breed.

“The veterinary checks were introduced to ensure that dogs with exaggerated features do not win prizes. The independent veterinary surgeon decided that the Pekingese and Bulldog should not pass their checks and therefore they did not receive their Best of Breed awards and will not be representing their breeds in the remainder of the competition.”
Bravo!!!

I am so happy the KC are getting strict - and nobody can say no-one told them so, they've had years to start improving the health of these breeds - since Pedigree Dogs Exposed first aired.

I think now everyone involved will start taking health more seriously. Well done the KC
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Excellent news
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank goodness!! At long last.
Page 4 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »