View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:05 PM
think its Brundog on here who likes to holiday up north and it might be worth a PM to see is she knows this place?

I agree its a good tourist area, the NW Highlands and a beautiful place!

Edit; when I went to Lochinver aged about 17/18 I was like WOW, it lovely but where the bleep do all the people live! Total change up that way!lol

Edit; one thing that comes to mind is that if it proved enough of a change that you wanted out a few years later, how easily would it sell/lease?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Been doing a homecheck for GSD Rescue today and rescuing a straying border terrier H, sorry for not getting back sooner Anyhow, Ullapool is a really gorgeous area in the NW Highlands and is a real tourist hotspot - in summer and winter, so the business could definitely work. It might be a bit too remote for you though ? and will definitely be midgey at certain times of year. Hubby shepherded up there for a couple of lambings in his younger days and loved it.
You must know me too well Kirsty, as this is exactly what Dave said!!! Sounds like we would get a few customers in then if it's a touristy area then, coz I will need to buy dog food (and shoes!!!) Thanks Kirsty, I do hope they get back to me. I had to pay £20 to join Rightbiz to be able to make enquiries with anything we fancied and there's a lot of what we fancy in there!!!

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
well, I dont know about that place but round here there are a few folk (I used to too but not now) go for a drive and go to places to eat somewhere nice and quiet, instead of the usual, maybe that is how they get on with the bar/restraunt too?

lol at you on your snow mobile and zena with her goggles, you could get all the best of snow gear on but no one will see it lol You could get Zena a Hurtta coat like loui though

Would you make an outhouse into a seperate annex type accomodation? or purely for Daves work?

It already has a cottage next door for the owners, BUT, it also has planning permission for a dwelling as well. Whether that means by knocking down the existing outbuildings I don't know yet, or whether it means building behind on the 8 acres Who's gonna build it though? Not me!! Dave would, but could we afford it I'm thinking more along the lines of sticking up some log cabins on those 8 acres, so I've asked them about the pp they have and whether it might be possible, coz that would work out well, I could let those out. Scotland here I come then lol!

As for summer days, I think we get a bit less than you and IME everytime I go to a loch in summer the shore's full of midges lol but yeh, its beautiful in places like that in summer!! (midges are worth putting up with! and nice anytime really)

it would be a huge change though!! even from Fife to there is a big change! some remote places that way do pony trekking for the kids but I havent looked at the place enough to say if thats something you could do? I think you need to have something up your sleeve though in case you get a poor summer income one year. As for a mechanic which I think Dave is? Having a mobile side to the business may be good especially in winter I would think, even here I have had to use that! So he can go out to folk in the 4x4.....
Now that might be a brilliant idea there Natalie about Dave going mobile, coz we would have enough left to kit him out with a mobile unit, he has all his tools of course coz he has his garage. Hmmmm, I will mention that to him. He just said he's getting a bit old for that, coz out in the snow, 4 x 4's it's really hard work (he's used to his cushy number in the workshop he has now ya see!). Looks like it'll be down to me pulling those pints and slaving away in the kitchen then again
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You must know me too well Kirsty, as this is exactly what Dave said!!! Sounds like we would get a few customers in then if it's a touristy area then, coz I will need to buy dog food (and shoes!!!) Thanks Kirsty, I do hope they get back to me. I had to pay £20 to join Rightbiz to be able to make enquiries with anything we fancied and there's a lot of what we fancy in there!!!

Now that might be a brilliant idea there Natalie about Dave going mobile, coz we would have enough left to kit him out with a mobile unit, he has all his tools of course coz he has his garage. Hmmmm, I will mention that to him. He just said he's getting a bit old for that, coz out in the snow, 4 x 4's it's really hard work (he's used to his cushy number in the workshop he has now ya see!). Looks like it'll be down to me pulling those pints and slaving away in the kitchen then again
yep, I think IMHO it would be best of he had AT LEAST a mobile element to the business.

ohh, log cabins and would you put some fencing so peeps can bring dogs...

edit; tbh, even if it was a call out for starting flat batteries cos wen its cold up there its cold! lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Just received the proper details for the Inn in the Scottish Highlands, and wondering if anybody knows this area well, coz I now have more information on the locality which is:

The Altnacealgach Inn is situated in a stunning mountainous setting in the northwest Scottish Highlands, on the A837 Lairg to
Lochinver road, on the banks of Loch Borralan, just one and a half miles from Ledmore Junction. The vibrant township of Ullapool is
twenty miles to the south and hosts a variety of retail outlets including a supermarket, post office, banks, garage services, petrol station,
the busy ferry terminal serving the Western Isles, a working harbour and many tourist attractions. The attractive fishing village of
Lochinver lies twenty-one miles northwest and benefits: bank, post office, retail outlets, petrol station, tourist attractions etc. The
hamlets of Elphin and Knockan are only four miles distant as is the Knockan Nature Reserve. The Royal Burgh of Tain is only forty-six
miles distant and the City of Inverness is less than eighty miles away. The inn lies within the boundary of the North West Highlands
GeoPark – a major tourist attraction, which is often described as Europe’s last wilderness!

Haven't even been to Scotland meself!!!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Sounds lovely!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just received the proper details for the Inn in the Scottish Highlands, and wondering if anybody knows this area well, coz I now have more information on the locality which is:

The Altnacealgach Inn is situated in a stunning mountainous setting in the northwest Scottish Highlands, on the A837 Lairg to
Lochinver road, on the banks of Loch Borralan, just one and a half miles from Ledmore Junction. The vibrant township of Ullapool is
twenty miles to the south and hosts a variety of retail outlets including a supermarket, post office, banks, garage services, petrol station,
the busy ferry terminal serving the Western Isles, a working harbour and many tourist attractions. The attractive fishing village of
Lochinver lies twenty-one miles northwest and benefits: bank, post office, retail outlets, petrol station, tourist attractions etc. The
hamlets of Elphin and Knockan are only four miles distant as is the Knockan Nature Reserve. The Royal Burgh of Tain is only forty-six
miles distant and the City of Inverness is less than eighty miles away. The inn lies within the boundary of the North West Highlands
GeoPark – a major tourist attraction, which is often described as Europe’s last wilderness!

Haven't even been to Scotland meself!!!
Lochinver is beautiful, it is remote, in a really remote sense! The pub is good though and can be busy enough at weekend (think was within the hotel if memory serves) Everyone working there pulls together, a real community. I have been to a wedding there and the food was brill, people gave fresh caught fish for the meal, the cake was baked by someone else, the hotel owners gave a good price for the hall.....that is if memory serves me right, was a good while ago and I'm having to think hard! I havent been for so long but as I remember Ullapool has a lovely quaint yet sea-sidey feel with the shops such as butcher and cafe etc alongside the harbour/water. Still quiet compared to any place further down/inland though. Inverness is ok but I dont think its big, its not like Edinburgh or Glasgow, but a nice city.

The EU laws brought a difference in the fishing up there so day trips to the Isles wont be cashed in on, its expensive to go back and forth I think and the Isles have lost their wealth (but I still want to go anyway )

Right now thats all I can remember so I think you will still be relying on seasonal trade/walking trips etc etc with the garage to tide you along throughout.

Perhaps if you offered a service for walkers walking to/from certain places with you as a destination, that may be another idea, because you can go on wlaking trips here where you pay them to pick up your stuff in the beginning and then their stuff is at the hotel at night. Mainly if they are doing a big walk that starts further from where you are and then they get to you....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:23 PM
It is quite high up, wild country and very remote compared to what you are used to H! Allan did a few lambings for a farming family just outside Ullapool and even though he really enjoyed it and liked the area he said it definitely isn't for everyone. When we had our honeymoon at Torridon we drove up to Ullapool to see the farmer and his family and I just remember a long drive of single track roads and recall it being fairly bleak and wild countryside too.

Are you seriously considering it, or is it more of a pipe dream? If you are serious about it, then you should get Dave to take some time off and travel up and have a good look around the area, and talk to as many people as possible, especially others who have moved up from England.

I would imagine the winters will be long, cold and wet and the summers short and midge filled lol However the general area has a wild beauty that is hard to find anywhere else in the UK. Personally I think you would have to be a certain sort of person to live in a place like this. Hubby could do it no problem, but not sure whether I could hack it long term. Personally I think it would be a shock to your system lol, but it all depends what you are wanting from life
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I agree with what Moobli has posted too. I actually think you would need to both go with the dogs and spend a few weeks before you would actually even get an idea of the place. The winter time you need to be ok with seeing a lot of each other and not much of anyone else if your particular property is remote in its own right (but think you have Motel as a neighbour? Is that open year round?)

Like I said, others use a snow mobile at time BUT you may not be able to do that if you are just off an 'actual road'...

You'd need to go and suss it all out and see how you felt about it.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Orkney!!!

http://www.orkneypropertycentre.co.uk/
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:31 PM
theres also the fact that if you change your mind, how easily do you think this will sell again?
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »