Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Local Suffolk Rescue Proposed to Close :-(

Hi Dogsey,

I have got some bad news to share with you all, I just want to get it off my chest as it's starting to really get to me.
I live in Suffolk, and my local Blue Cross in Felixstowe where I have been for 4 years has now been told it is to close in June this year, so the Blue Cross can sell the land and relocate hundreds of miles away to the North-West.

It's absolutely heart-wrenching to say the least. Are any of you familiar with the Blue Cross in Felixstowe?
There is a [a social network] Group running to help try and save the centre from closure, but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post links to exterior websites upon your forum. I don't wish to break any rules.

I reguarly go down the centre for two-three full days a week, I go in the morning and help clean out the animals, and I stay until they are put to bed at night. It's almost became a way of my life despite being a volunteer.
It's also not good for me, as I have just began studying an Advanced Canine Psychology course, but the majority of dogs I am studying are with my local Blue Cross. - This means I have 2 years worth of college work to do, in five months. I cherish every second I have there, and the staff are almost like family to me.

Sorry I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Have any of you ever gotten your animals from a Blue Cross centre?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I live not far from there.
They wouldn't let us have a dog.... as I work full time, even though the dog was for Mum who would be at home all the time, and was getting treated for cancer at the time..... and even though my hours ar not 9-5.

They wouldn't let us have a cat either as it had to go upstairs when it came in the front door.... they just didn't get that our flat had no communal areas and that our front door was our own.

They are just another of those rescues where it is so hard to actually rescue an animal you do wonder why they bother.
They are only small and usually only have 3 dogs max on their website, if they have more they aren't very proactive in rehoming them. Not many cats either.

I can see why head office want to close them and fully expected a fight, but I doubt it's one the protestors will win as charities have to get funds from somewhere and that land is worth a lot for building.
The main clinic is in a listed building which can't be demolished, but could be chnaged back to residential use.

So it's a very small rehoming centre using a lot of valuable land that the charity, in their need in economise and restructure, see fit to close.
Sad but true.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I live not far from there.
They wouldn't let us have a dog.... as I work full time, even though the dog was for Mum who would be at home all the time, and was getting treated for cancer at the time..... and even though my hours ar not 9-5.

They wouldn't let us have a cat either as it had to go upstairs when it came in the front door.... they just didn't get that our flat had no communal areas and that our front door was our own.

They are just another of those rescues where it is so hard to actually rescue an animal you do wonder why they bother.
They are only small and usually only have 3 dogs max on their website, if they have more they aren't very proactive in rehoming them. Not many cats either.

I can see why head office want to close them and fully expected a fight, but I doubt it's one the protestors will win as charities have to get funds from somewhere and that land is worth a lot for building.
The main clinic is in a listed building which can't be demolished, but could be chnaged back to residential use.

So it's a very small rehoming centre using a lot of valuable land that the charity, in their need in economise and restructure, see fit to close.
Sad but true.

I'm sorry to here that you were unable to rehome an animal, However I'm not entirely sure what you mean about being a small charity.
It actually is on quite a large scale, The reason they only have a couple of dogs on the website is because each dog that goes into the centre has to be observed and monitored so the staff can build up an accurate picture of the character of the dog, and what would be best home environment for it.
This often means that only two or three dogs are up for homing at the same time. However all of the kennels are almost always occupied. We can hold up to 12 dogs at any one time. - Not as large as the Dogs Trust, But on the same scale as the RSPCA in the area.
Some dogs are also found new homes so quickly they are not up on the website very long at all, This could also be perhaps where you have not seen them all?

If you live in the area, Do you not realise the impact a closure may have on the remaining two rescues - The Cats Protection Ipswich, And the RSPCA Martlesham? Both are currently running at full capacity, So where will the 400 cats and dogs go next year if our centre closes its doors.

Also if the centre does go, I'm afraid the clinic will also vanish as it is not in the listed building next to the centre, that is actually where management live so there is always somebody on site 24/7.

Also I'm quite confused by your comment about the centre not being very pro-active in rehoming animals. If that were the case, How come in the last 12 months 400 cats and dogs found their way into new homes?

I am sorry to hear you were unable to adopt an animal, - I hope you found yourself a furry friend somewhere.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
sorry to hear it will be closing... i dont know of the centre, but from what you have said, the impact sounds like it will be a big one
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
oh thats really sad for you as you are really attached to the place.
i live in the north west have you any idea where it is re-locating to?? i would like to volunteer for somewhere where i can be of help to animals.
and although it's sad for you!
your loss is our gain
are there any other rescue's in your area where you can volunteer your help.