Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
sorry if i offended yes this would be the best way to go,open to all opions and i agree with mahooli yes xx
Awwww you've not offended anyone!
WE are all entitled to our opinions,thats what discussions are about,if we all agreed we wouldn't have a discussion would we?!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
...a fair idea, but one that I suspect wouldn't last long as soon as the country became involved in another war. I didn't have my son so he could become cannon fodder.
I can understand that and unfortunately we are getting involved in wars where we shouldn't be. I would say National Service should be just one years compulsory training 16-17, then back to education or job or if they want to join up they can do.
Becky
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I do NOT want my son to be forced into an army, forced to fight a war that he may not believe in and forced to die for it, just because of an accident of birth...because he happened to be born in this country. Nope. Defintiely not.
Let's not forget, it's because of the courageous sons and daughters of other Mothers and Fathers that you have the luxury to be able to say that.

I further doubt, for a second, that they consider their children to be "cannon fodder" as you so tactlessly put it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Let's not forget, it's because of the courageous sons and daughters of other Mothers and Fathers that you have the luxury to be able to say that.

I further doubt, for a second, that they consider their children to be "cannon fodder" as you so tactlessly put it.
I am sitting looking at a framed scroll on the wall, from the king, commemorating my uncle whose spitfire was shot down over Holland in 1944. He was identified by my grandfather who recognised his underpants.

I don't want to have to do that. My grandmother would indeed have agreed that her son was 'cannon fodder' and would rather he had never gone and she had him home with her I'm sure.

I do not doubt the men and women courage for a moment.I hold them in the greatest respect, more than you will ever know.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 09:58 AM
While I would like National Service to be compulsory I think time has moved on and this would no longer be viable. I would allow kids to leave school at 15 if they agree to to two years, this way they are not causing problems for kids at school who want to learn and are learning some skills them selfs instead of hanging round street corners. It should also be used for young offenders

Also I dont think anyone serving would be sent to wars as it is classed as training.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 10:11 AM
While I would like National Service to be compulsory I think time has moved on and this would no longer be viable.
I'm genuinely curious. Why do you think the current Zeitgeist is such that National Service is no longer 'viable'? Do you then believe that what we have now is viable and sustainable?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I'm genuinely curious. Why do you think the current Zeitgeist is such that National Service is no longer 'viable'? Do you then believe that what we have now is viable and sustainable?
I dont think it would be viable for the simple fact that the softly/softly human rights brigade have way to much say in the plans for anything in this country and the ammount of stink that would be kicked up by them would make it virtually impossible to do so. I said in my first post I would love to see it brought back but I am a realist
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't think they should be sent to war I just think they should have army training. Only those who want to 'join' should be sent abroad, not those doing National Service!
Becky
I don't agree Becky, you can't have a two tier system in the armed forces.
The army is a team, it lives and fights as a team, the guys say, you watch my back and i'll watch yours.
If there was a two tier system, the guys that were left behind in the UK would feel very frustrated, and probably taunted by those who went overseas to do their duty.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 10:55 AM
but if they done a 2 year army training coarse compulsory and then left it to the lads to decide if they wanted to join up volentry and go to war after that xx
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
but if they done a 2 year army training coarse compulsory and then left it to the lads to decide if they wanted to join up volentry and go to war after that xx
I can guarantee the boys/girls who had done their two years would be filled with the team spirit I mentioned, and very few of them would wish not to go.
It's called comeraderie, like an exclusive club. or, stand by your mates.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >