register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Are you for or against organ donation? (Please explain reasons on your choice)
Yes I'm for it and am an organ donor. 52 68.42%
Yes I'm for it, but too scared to be one. 9 11.84%
No I'm not for it and am not an organ donor. 4 5.26%
Other....... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 10:36 PM

Organ donation? For or against?

Not sure if this is in the right place??

Just wondering what everyones feelings are about this? I was having a discussion with my sis the other day about it and discovered that she is one.

Now I know being a Nurse Student I should donate my organs, but I have this funny thing where I worry that I won't have all my body parts when I pass over if I donate them. And my god do I feel guilty about it.

So what are your feelings on this? Are you a donor and if not why not?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 10:47 PM
i am a full donar ....i won't need my organs when i passover so if its helps some one else then great
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
i am a full donar ....i won't need my organs when i passover so if its helps some one else then great
Wish I could be that certain, just one of those things I guess. A "What if?" problem!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Im a registered organ doner and have been for many years now.Not sure if anything inside me is of any use though cause i was a heavy smoker!

I always carry the card,my family are aware of my wishes should anything happen (they have final say so despite everything) and my driving licence has code '115' printed on it which means organ doner.

Sounds odd though,but the only part i dont want removed is my corneas and these are excluded from list.I used to suffer terrible nightmares about being blind and i just cant face ticking that box cause of it.I know i'd be dead and wouldnt be aware,but it dont seem right bizzare as it sounds.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Im a registered organ doner and have been for many years now.Not sure if anything inside me is of any use though cause i was a heavy smoker!

I always carry the card,my family are aware of my wishes should anything happen (they have final say so despite everything) and my driving licence has code '115' printed on it which means organ doner.

Sounds odd though,but the only part i dont want removed is my corneas and these are excluded from list.I used to suffer terrible nightmares about being blind and i just cant face ticking that box cause of it.I know i'd be dead and wouldnt be aware,but it dont seem right bizzare as it sounds.
I'm so glad you said that as that's how I feel about the whole thing, but feel like such an idiot as it makes no sense really!

Good on you for donating, I'm sure they'd be able to find something useful!

You never know I might change my mind, I used to be an organ donor in my teens????
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Selfishllly-No. I have this thing about when i take my highway to hell i want all of me going into that wooden box..and, a bit like steve's phobia, i have one of not being able to breath-so loosing the heart, lungs etc would be no.
I'm an odd un me!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I'm so glad you said that as that's how I feel about the whole thing, but feel like such an idiot as it makes no sense really!

Good on you for donating, I'm sure they'd be able to find something useful!

You never know I might change my mind, I used to be an organ donor in my teens????

My biggest hurdle was my mother Rip.Im not married so essentially she is my next of kin,so if anything happened to me-it would all rest on her and mum used to be against organ donation.

I just put it to her simply that-how would she feel if her grandson needed a new kidney and would die without,but everyone had the same attitude? Mum changed her mind there and then.

Logically thinking-theres an awful lot of perfectly good organs going up in smoke/being buried and sadly people are dying as a result.I think personally that its the wrong way round-organ removal should be automatic after death and people have to opt to not have them removed.It would save the unpleasantries with families<>doctors which is normally associated with sudden death of loved ones and the organ donation subject.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 11:32 PM
You're not the only one Luke!
Originally Posted by Steve
My biggest hurdle was my mother Rip.Im not married so essentially she is my next of kin,so if anything happened to me-it would all rest on her and mum used to be against organ donation.

I just put it to her simply that-how would she feel if her grandson needed a new kidney and would die without,but everyone had the same attitude? Mum changed her mind there and then.

Logically thinking-theres an awful lot of perfectly good organs going up in smoke/being buried and sadly people are dying as a result.I think personally that its the wrong way round-organ removal should be automatic after death and people have to opt to not have them removed.It would save the unpleasantries with families<>doctors which is normally associated with sudden death of loved ones and the organ donation subject.
Mmm I think I'd prefer it that way too, then I wouldn't have a choice and it wouldn't be a problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I am also an organ donor, my neighbour is only alive now because someone donated a kidney.

When my husband died I gave permission for the removal of suitable organs, it helped to know that something good came from losing him...
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2006, 12:52 AM
I am registered as an organ doner but hopefully it will be a long time before I have to give anything away I never really thought about whether I might still need them when I'm dead.
But I know for definate someone alive will need them, so I am happy to give them away

I agree that things should be the other way round and people should register if they don't want to give up their organs. It must be horrible to have to be asked that question when a loved one has just died. I can understand why people say no
I don't really think it should be up to the family if the person has already made it clear that they want to donate their organs Shouldn't it be our choice what happens to our bodies? My mum's ex husband said he would refuse if my mum died and she was really upset about that because she wants to donate her organs.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »