View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice one, Honesty! i was very lucky - I got mine for the £45 cost of having it shipped from Cheshire to the Twilight Zone! An on-line friend had got it for her b/f, but he hated it, so, instead of binning it when she got fed up of it lying about, she thought "Who do I know who uses a Mac?", and I got "first dibs".

I'm having to cannibalize bits from my old G3 (where they are still modern enough to fit ), but definitely some new bits needed

The one reservation I have is that I'm not sufficiently techie to make the most of it! And I have yet another OS to master (Win 95, then Mac OS 9, then Mac OSX Panther, now Mac OSX Tiger). Help! My poor old brain is overloading!

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
P.S. Just in case nobody noticed, Snorri Mansions is definitely a Mac establishment! We have three of them now, all different, but, unfortunately, as yet they won't talk to each other!

The original desktop (The Big Mac) - an old G3 with OS 9.1
The laptop (The Happy Meal) - a G3 iBook with OSX 10.3.7
and now the G5 (Supermac ??) - the G5, with OSX 10.4

Now, Tom and I will get them linked eventually, either with wi-fi or ethernet, or a combination of both - probably more easily once I dump AOL (which appears to be a major obstacle to the process ).

At the moment, it's looking like yet another very cold day in the Mansions. Last night's snow didn't stay, but it's still fairly bitter.

Snorri
(still on the laptop)
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
Nice one, Honesty! i was very lucky - I got mine for the £45 cost of having it shipped from Cheshire to the Twilight Zone! An on-line friend had got it for her b/f, but he hated it, so, instead of binning it when she got fed up of it lying about, she thought "Who do I know who uses a Mac?", and I got "first dibs".

I'm having to cannibalize bits from my old G3 (where they are still modern enough to fit ), but definitely some new bits needed

The one reservation I have is that I'm not sufficiently techie to make the most of it! And I have yet another OS to master (Win 95, then Mac OS 9, then Mac OSX Panther, now Mac OSX Tiger). Help! My poor old brain is overloading!

Snorri
I hate you now!!!!!!!!!!
£45?? so not fair!

personally, I can't use a normal 'pc' to save my life, Macs are just too cool, and Sarra friendly too.LOL
We've got OSX 10.2 running on our G3 now (dunno how, OH has done it for me, I'm a techno spaz) so it runs pretty well. He wanted it upping to a newer version, so he can use his works zip files at home, and then send them back to work. He should just get a new home computer, then Katie can have this one in her room. NO INTERNET going upstairs though.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Honesty
I hate you now!!!!!!!!!!
£45?? so not fair!
Not a bad deal, but as another mate pointed out, second-hand computers do not have a very high resale value! He reckons that's all it was worth, although I'd challenge him to find one that cheap! It's in tip-top condition (barely even tested) and was still in its original packaging (which I've kept), complete with the manuals (which make good sleeping draughts) and even the daft Apple stickers that they throw in the box!

Now, I just have to make room for all these machines, as I don't want to follow Mrs S desire to start throwing them out! The old G3 is her first target: this may sound silly,but I have developed quite an affection for it - my first "proper" computer, the one I learned on (and the one which I used to join DW!)

Snorri
:smt049 :smt018
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I understand totally, our G3 will go to Katie as it's like part of the family, she's called Ruby (sad... ), I doubt many of the IMB clone owners grow so attatched, maybe it's as we are forced to defend our choice in home computer so much, that we do get attatched. That, or we are mad... either works
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Nice thread Hazel. Ive just finished painting the new extention built for the dogs! Started it in a stone colour but didnt like it, so found some old paints & mixed them altogether now its a weird pinky/terracotta thing! Might scare the dogs not to eat the walls though!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5