Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Joedee - just one point - however careful you were (as I've always been) I bet you could have staked your life on that your dogs would NEVER kill, maim or even slightly hurt a small child?

I know I could. But still used to put the GSDs outside when visitors with toddlers called. However - obviously I didn't put her outside when my own two toddlers were around. They grew up together.
I can because my dogs have no contact with little children(because I don't like them)& my dogs are always supervised with older children. If I see small children I remove myself & my dogs

Sorry I just do not like little children & the younger they are the more I dislike them(I am made physically sick by babies !)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Please note the posts about the other dog attack have been moved to this thread: Once bitten, twice stupid (another dog attack)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I can because my dogs have no contact with little children(because I don't like them)& my dogs are always supervised with older children. If I see small children I remove myself & my dogs

Sorry I just do not like little children & the younger they are the more I dislike them(I am made physically sick by babies !)
I bet it really upsets you to know that you WERE ONE YOURSELF ONCE!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I have come back onto this thread because I can feel myself simmering with anger.

I feel desperately sorry about the child, and also for the poor dog.

As more and more facts come to light, it is very clear that the dog should never have been rehomed with this family - the mother was unable to walk it because it was too strong for her, so this unfortunate animal was without exercise; cooped up all day and every day, and was being "played with" by a small child. All this after being in kennels (I have no idea of it's background before then) and going through who knows what insecurities and mental problems.

I am questioning why a mother with a young child, living in limited accommodation, would want a very big dog?

It is all far too late now, and it seems that the dog died a horrible death..........as did the child.

I will be ranted out, shot down and probably spat on, BUT my sympathies are now whole heartedly with the dog, as they usually are in these cases. My bias in total favour of the dog in these scenarios comes from an incident several years ago, where whilst in a country pub where a benign labrador was snoozing by the fire. A woman came in with a child of roughly four, which proceeded to sit on the dog whilst pinching it's ears. The mother of the child said and did nothing, whilst the owners of the dog called it over to them. The child followed. The mother laughed as her offspring stood on the dog's tail, then jumped up and down.

This dear dog did nothing more than look rather upset, and both it's owners and myself and his lordship told the mother what we thought about her and her child.

The thing is - that was yet another incident in the making, and it is not the dogs that are the problem in many many cases, it is the parents of the children. Time for them to behave like responsible parents in my view.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Bitkin - I too feel so sorry for this dog. Ending up in rescue kennels so surely didn't have a good background, then sent to live in conditions which clearly are not suitable for a high energy dog and like you say, and I'm assuming ,forced to endure the attention of a young child. The dog is a victim and so is this poor child - victims of whoever bought the dog into the property, we assume it was the mother but it might have been a boyfriend or relative.

As I understand it, the dog in the photograph of the poor little girl is not actually the one that killed her but another dog - a staffie type.

I have a very strong energetic staffie and he wags his tail like crazy when he sees children but there is NO WAY he'd have contact with them. I don't have children and children are not welcome into the house, if they do come in then the dog would go out - he might be fine but I would never take the chance.

So sad.

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I have come back onto this thread because I can feel myself simmering with anger.

I feel desperately sorry about the child, and also for the poor dog.

As more and more facts come to light, it is very clear that the dog should never have been rehomed with this family - the mother was unable to walk it because it was too strong for her, so this unfortunate animal was without exercise; cooped up all day and every day, and was being "played with" by a small child. All this after being in kennels (I have no idea of it's background before then) and going through who knows what insecurities and mental problems.

I am questioning why a mother with a young child, living in limited accommodation, would want a very big dog?

It is all far too late now, and it seems that the dog died a horrible death..........as did the child.

I will be ranted out, shot down and probably spat on, BUT my sympathies are now whole heartedly with the dog, as they usually are in these cases. My bias in total favour of the dog in these scenarios comes from an incident several years ago, where whilst in a country pub where a benign labrador was snoozing by the fire. A woman came in with a child of roughly four, which proceeded to sit on the dog whilst pinching it's ears. The mother of the child said and did nothing, whilst the owners of the dog called it over to them. The child followed. The mother laughed as her offspring stood on the dog's tail, then jumped up and down.

This dear dog did nothing more than look rather upset, and both it's owners and myself and his lordship told the mother what we thought about her and her child.

The thing is - that was yet another incident in the making, and it is not the dogs that are the problem in many many cases, it is the parents of the children. Time for them to behave like responsible parents in my view.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
...[snip]...
As I understand it, the dog in the photograph of the poor little girl is not actually the one that killed her but another dog - a staffie type.
The dog was not a Staffie.

Leicestershire Police today confirmed the dog was a bulldog, which is not listed under Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act, and stressed officers were not treating the incident as a criminal investigation.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untsorrel.html
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Hmmmm I have to say I do not have children myself however my dog or any child on this planet and it would be the child every time.

All my dogs have been brought up with children coming and going nieces and nephews but could I say with certainty
that when they were junior school age and up they were
never left alone for a second or two no. However if they had
friends coming round to play or come in or a friends child came depending on the weather and the game of course the dog(s) were always either put in the garden with back door locked key removed and access to conservatory with again French doors locked and key removed, or into the bedroom with again the key turned and removed.
I had no experience of the childs confidence/attitude around dogs so better safe than sorry same happened with some people who came who were scared of dogs.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi Bitkin - I too feel so sorry for this dog. Ending up in rescue kennels so surely didn't have a good background, then sent to live in conditions which clearly are not suitable for a high energy dog and like you say, and I'm assuming ,forced to endure the attention of a young child. The dog is a victim and so is this poor child - victims of whoever bought the dog into the property, we assume it was the mother but it might have been a boyfriend or relative.

I have a very strong energetic staffie and he wags his tail like crazy when he sees children but there is NO WAY he'd have contact with them. I don't have children and children are not welcome into the house, if they do come in then the dog would go out - he might be fine but I would never take the chance.

So sad.
wasn't a staffie type and wasn't homed from a rescue kennels
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=Baxter8;2754878]Hi Bitkin - I too feel so sorry for this dog. Ending up in rescue kennels so surely didn't have a good background,

Sorry but this sort of statement is not going to help in any way! It may come as a surprise to you that not every dog ending up in rescue comes from a bad background!

This is a one of incident and should be treated as such.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I bet it really upsets you to know that you WERE ONE YOURSELF ONCE!
Nope I was born an adult
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »