View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, sorry it's such a sad thread, but some great answers there. Like some others I am 72 this year, but am still about 50 in my head. I've never had a single dog as, like Fivedogpam, my dogs have always been my hobby too, (Breed and Activities). However, I think that this is the mindset that I am going to have to change.
I have friends who would be prepared carry out my wishes if anything unforseen happened, but I doubt that they would want to actually take on any dogs. I like Jenny's Aunt's idea of fostering for a Breed Rescue, and perhaps there's a moral there - get more involved with your Breed Rescue or the Cinnamon Trust!
Thanks for your answers, and may we all stay around to discuss things for a long time yet.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I would always have a dog if I was able to look after it . However as I become older I will be happy to take oldies either to adopt or foster .
My latest cat is an oldie probably around 10-12 when I got her 2 years ago and she is an absolute pleasure to have .
When I lose my 2 old cats I will only be considering oldies in future . I am in my late 50's .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2014, 03:16 PM
At What Age Should You Get Your Last Dog?
This is rather a difficult subject for me I can live without the company of humans but living alone I would find it very hard to be without a dog.

None of us whatever age we might be can know or sure what time we have remaining and that goes for the young as well as the old.
I will probably be in my 70's when anything happens to Chloe and yes I do plan to have another puppy providing I am still reasonably fit when that sad event happens .

At the moment I take Chloe for a walk three times a day whatever the weather or in spite of any illness I might have. If I didn't have a dog I know would not always bother to go out and that I think would be the beginning of the end for me.

I am sure my family will look after my dog when I am no longer here.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 07:01 PM
i am 34, i will not make old age, i have just lost my first 2 dogs (one 13 and my 9 year old 2 weeks ago), we had a pup already so she will now be my last dog..... when i am gone she is my parents responsibility along with my cat.... she will also be their last dog as if she lives to 13 like my old girl my dad will be 72 and my mum would be 69. if anything happens to all 3 of us before the pup passed away then she would go to my brother who is 36 and she would be his first and last dog
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 08:05 AM
We are having this conversation now, both in our 50s with health problems but losing Mollie means Betty will be alone. Not ready to actually face getting another yet but it will be something we need to think long and hard about.

Key will be make the next dog (if we get one) as friendly and well trained as possible so if it does out live us it will be easy to rehome.

Some of the difficult dogs we have had in the past would have never been able to be rehomed.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I find it hard to imagine my life without a dog, but like others have said, I am aware that as I get older I have to think seriously about whether or not I am being selfish in my attitude. I am 70 at the moment and rehomed Roxy last May - I deliberately chose an older dog (she was 7 at the time of rehoming although the rescue centre told me she was 5) and although I love her dearly we have had some problems which I am helping her with. I hope I will have her for quite a few years yet, but would have to think seriously about whether I would take on another dog at that time.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Meg
At the moment I take Chloe for a walk three times a day whatever the weather or in spite of any illness I might have. If I didn't have a dog I know would not always bother to go out and that I think would be the beginning of the end for me.

I am sure my family will look after my dog when I am no longer here.
I could have written that myself! Especially the bit about 'not always bothering'. During my 'dogless' two years after my beloved Charlie died I had a very bad accident on the ice in UK and was taking forever for the problems with my ankle, knee and hip to get any better and 18 months after all seemed to agree I was about as good as I could get. I spent a LOT of time making myself comfy with cushions under knee and everything in reach and didn't always do the painful hamstring stretching exercises or even swim every day.

In fact when I got Bella and they didn't know whether one of her back legs would ever 'be normal' (she held it up) I said 'well as long as she isn't in pain with it - I'm a bit wonky too so we can be wonky together - we are ideally suited'.

And look at her now! And me! Just HAVING TO GO OUT (no garden) and sometimes using a walking stick to get just to the corner of the road in the beginning was what showed me that I was the only one who could 'make me better' by persisting with painful exercise bit at a time.

But, many years before that, when I had problems involving divorce, protracted hospital ops and treatment, school age daughter, mortgage, all sorts - there were days when, if I didn't have a dog, once my daughter was out of the house at school I could easily have just sat at the table with my head in my hands silently wailing 'what AM I going to do?!'

But I had to get dressed and up and out and get the dog out. If she didn't go to the beach every day life was hell she would be behind me pawing at me until we did!

And I ALWAYS felt better after a walk in the fresh air or even just a potter on the beach staring out to sea. And I always advise people who are feeling really down to get out and go for a long walk. It really does blow the cobwebs away. Failing accidents, I've never felt worse after going out for a walk than I did before I went!

I'm 65 and Bella is 3. If I live another 10 yrs I could possibly outlive my dog. It's a close thing really. But we are so perfect together that I can't imagine what's left of her life or mine without one another.

But like you - I know my family will take care of my dog if I go first. Hell I know they'd take care of me but am trying hard to avoid that ever becoming a reality!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I think this is very individual, depending on the persons health & if they could not walk a dog after a few years would they be able to afford a dog walker.

Toffee is 5yrs & I'm 72yrs. At the moment I do not want to think of him as my last dog, but that would depend on how old I am & my state health should Toffee go before me.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 03:54 AM
My dad is 72. Lives alone and my mum passed very suddenly 4 years ago. Ellis his lab the year after.

He said only the other day that he fancies owning another dog. He obviously wants the company.

If he does, we'll agree to take responsibility if anything happens to Dad, but an older rescue dog would be perfect for him.

I think there's a home for all the oldies. What do you think?
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 10:38 AM
My grandmothers last dog died when she was 80 and decided it would be unwise to get another.
I think there are so many variables, you get people who are very 'infirm' by their mid sixties, and there is a man round here who still takes his horse hunting and jumping big scary ditches in his 90s!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >