Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Excellent post by Cheeky CHi.

I just find it a little odd that an experienced breeder, stud dog owner would not of told you the answers to the questions you are asking, especially your initial one. I know you want what is best but research is paramount before taking a step that could end up in serious problems if things go wrong. I hope it goes well for you and the dog.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Excellent post by Cheeky CHi.
Why thankyou Borderdawn I must be having a good day. Just got reppies for another post I made

I agree that the Stud Owner should have given some of the basic advice that the OP has asked but, giving the benefit of the doubt (as I do) perhaps the OP is asking for as much advice as possible from all areas so as to gather as much info as possible I am glad that you brought up the 'Inertia' point. This is something I had not come across and though not a big problem in Chis, is worth knowing about, so have researched it now and will keep a note of it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Just got reppies for another post I made
Great stuff, i thought your post was very very good indeed!
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 02:47 PM
thanks for all your help we have also money to one side if there was to be any problems i am slightly worried about my vet my border is already a little over weight they told me i should be feeding her puppy food and in larger amounts i have been told it is too early and to ignore vets until she is futher in to her pregnancy if she is these last few days she has been very clingy and quiet and is sleeping alot is this normal where can i get that book from cheers
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Being overweight can really risk more complications with whelping.

She absolutely does NOT need more food at this stage. In fact, we generally only increase food after the pups are born, if you feed a good quality food anyway the bitch should be fine. Maybe up the food in the week or so before she's due. We tended to give bitches something like scrambled eggs before they were due (on a breeders advice, not the vets!). Your vets have given you some rather worrying advice..

I wouldnt have thought she'd have too much in the way of temperment changes just yet, but every dog is different so as long as you are not concerned about her, i'd just keep an eye.

Book of the bitch you can buy from Amazon.
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 04:44 PM
il try and get that book ourstuds dog owner said to ignore vets and only use breeders advice im givin her excercise and same food as usual to try and keep her weight under control and keep her healthy and in best shape possible for whelping
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I will admit that your Vet's advice does leave a bit to be desired but I would also say that having a very good Vet that is competent with regard breeding, is imperative. I think you need to have a chat with your current Vet and make a decision as to whether this is the right Vet for you. It took the death of two puppies for me to realise that my ex-Vet was useless on the breeding front. I'd hate anyone to have to go through that. It was heartbreaking. Especially knowing that had I got them to my new Vets earlier, they may have had a chance

I got my Book of the Bitch from Pets At Home. I think it was about £10. Other than that, you sometimes see them being sold on ebay, maybe even at the Library?
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 06:11 AM
i have orderered book of the bitch from amazon looking forward to reading it when it comes . im goin to take tilly for her ultrasound on the 12th of febuary if i dont feel 100% sure then i amgoing to look for another vet that is abit more competent in dog breeding in my area att the end of the day my main concern is the health of my dog and any pups she has .
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 12:46 PM
i have been looking on the forum there seems to be alot of debate whether taking your dog for a ultrasound is worth it has it seems alot of people have had one carried out on there dogs been told they arnt pregnant then going on to have puppies
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:40 PM
i think a lot of people also have good results- although they are not very accurate at telling how many puppies there are they are usually accurate at telling you whether there is at least one pup. I think a lot depends on the vet/scanner and how experienced in this they are.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >