Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Hopefully Borderdawn will be along soon, she is the Border expert here
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 01:14 PM
thnks for your help i have made an appointment she goes on the 12th of febuary at least i can confirm she is pregnant i have been told to put her on puppy food already and give her a 3rd a day more is this right .
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, puppy food is definitely the way to go. As for the extra food, I really free-feed mine anyway, so I just feed mine their normal meals of chicken and wet James Wellbeloved twice daily and then they get dry Royal Canin as and when they want it throughout the day and into the early evening. I think I've read before that bitches do need extra food when pregnant but not this early on. As I say, didn't take too much notice as mine get food as and when they want it (apart from my boy who is a greedy g*t and so have to watch his weight) In the last three weeks of pregnancy, I tend to give scrambled egg and some carbs, to build them up and give them energy for the whelping period.

I am still at the novice stage of breeding, only had two litters so hopefully someone with experience, like Borderdawn/Shona/sjpurt and a few others that I can't think of at the moment, will be able to help you with great advice. Keep us posted.

I'm not sure if the appointment you have made at the Vets might be a little on the early side to determine pregnancy for sure but I expect someone else will advise on that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with what has already been said, no tie doesnt mean no puppies!! If its your and her first litter I would read and read up on it all you can. Borders are known for getting inertia too, so be aware of that is she is in whelp, most end up having cesars if thats the case.

I assume you have a nice example of the breed and likewise the stud dog, and have people waiting for puppies from you?
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:23 PM
what is inertia
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Its when the bitch doesnt have contractions, often when there is only one or two pups, the uterus doesnt contract. Secondary interia is when a pup is born but then labour stops, again the usual outcome is a cesarian, costing around £800 here at the moment. You NEED to read up on all of this, you should of done it before you even considered mating the dog, Borders can be difficult whelpers and as I said it can be very costly if things go wrong.
trotter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 06:05 AM
ive read up alot on internet and have a book tilly is my pride and joy and she means the world to me we took her to a good stud breeder which we looked into before mating they have alot of experience and have said i can ringthem at anytime and will also be present when she gives birth if she is pregnant if i am unsure of anything because it will be her 1st litter i have read that they show signs of pregnancy earlier i am researching but alot seem to have different views so its hard to no which is right she is insured do they cover pregnancys if there is complications jist what the best for her and for me to do the best i can for her
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Is it an experienced stud dog? A show person that owns it? You will find unless you have specific breeding insurance you will not be covered.
feroxsbts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Alot of insurers do NOT cover pregnancy unless you have specifically found an insurer that does which are few and far between.

Any complications that arise you will be responsible for paying for....one of the many 'joys' *ahem* of breeding which should be considered before mating.

I hope all goes smoothly for your girl.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Most insurance policies do not cover pregnancy in dogs. That is why, when my Bambi was preggers, I put £1000 aside in case of emergency/c-section/whatever! Lucky I did, as she and the puppies became very ill (with infection that went undiagnosed by my ex-Vet). All in all, the Vet fees were £400 and I lost both pups!

With this last litter, I think the Vet fees are up to about £150 so far with pre-mating check, pre-whelping check, post-whelping check, etc. But at least this time I have two healthy puppies (so far - touch wood ).

You definitely need to be prepared for the worst, financially, then you can be ready for whatever comes.

I expect everything will go fine for you and your girl. Just make sure that your Vet is very competent on the breeding side (looking back my previous Vet didn't really have a clue - so different with this new Vet who has been an absolute gem).

As far as signs of pregnancy go, yes the signs can be there (i.e. enlarged nipples, etc.) but that isn't a definite, as these 'signs' can be present in a phantom pregnancy, which some bitches suffer from.

It's hard but you just have to sit back and wait to find out about whether the mating 'took'!

Once pregnancy is confirmed, I would suggest you find suitable potential homes for the puppies, asap. There are an awful lot of puppies around needing homes at the moment, largely because of the Credit Crunch, so best to get a list together - if you haven't already done so

As far as breeding advice goes, being fairly new to it myself, I understand that it can be confusing. Most Breeders have their own views. I have a fantastic Mentor that has so far given me excellent advice. However, sometimes I ask other Breeders their views on certain things, to get balanced advice and then take it from there.

Book of the Bitch is absolutely fantastic for advice on breeding, newborn pups, care of the bitch post-whelp, etc., so if you fancy reading up, that book is ideal. Very easy to understand and to the point

I looked up that Inertia condition that Borderdawn talked of. It is a little worrying. Make sure you read up on it, just in case you girl has this problem. Best be ready for everything, even though it is likely your girl will sail through with no problems
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >