View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Choker chains - are they ever suitable for pet owners?

Are they needed for anything that less 'harsher' practises or devices could be used? Or are they a relic of our past too?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
No, never needed. Yes, they should be a relic of the past

The sooner we start seeing dogs for the sentient beings they are, the better
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
yip again shouldnt be allowed imo.

...would people use these on toddlers?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I hate the idea of hurting, choking etc. I feel that I would be doing something wrong in the training department if I had to resort to this. My dog is a challenge, I am not perfect and time is often of the essence but although my dog can be a challenge, he is my responsibility and deserves to be treated with compassion.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Should be banned especially as I have often seen them on the wrong way round so they do choke rather than check the dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
IF they worked, I may possibly accept them for very extreme cases. But they don't. So I think they should be banned - horrible things that they are.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I put choker chains in the same category as other 'correction collars' and I would like to see them all removed from sale.

They are not what I would call an aid to training anyway because the dog isn't being taught a behaviour it is being forced to comply with the handlers wishes.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yip again shouldnt be allowed imo.

...would people use these on toddlers?
Now there's a thought - my daughter is grown up now, but still as lippy as hell - mmmmm, I wonder!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I put choker chains in the same category as other 'correction collars' and I would like to see them all removed from sale.

They are not what I would call an aid to training anyway because the dog isn't being taught a behaviour it is being forced to comply with the handlers wishes.
I find a use for Combi/martingale collars. sometimes dogs are too good at getting out of harnesses and/or flat collars.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

What a good way of putting it.

I have used a "check chain" in the past and I do not think they are effective or kind. No I'm not airy fairy, I will raise my voice if I have to but there is no way a check/choke chain is needed. Even using a long chain in the show-ring you can have a rolled leather show collar on.....

I think that it would be great if more emphasis was on teaching people how to relax around and about dogs/training and how to teach thier dogs a behaviour rather than simply expect them to 'comply' in general, then perhaps people wouldnt need to feel pick up these tools in a 'last ditch attempt' and then thats especially when they are a danger.....its a mind shift in general thats needed, teach the dog instead of expecting them just to comply.
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »