View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2013, 06:34 AM
My last post might have made more sense if my keyboard had not gone doolally. Or had I Previewed before Posting.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Bella's tail had already been lopped off by the breeder when I got her. I am very glad she still had her ears and glad this practice is banned in some countries now.

I always think of Dogsey as a UK dog interest site but open to all. (I was once booted off an American Forum for expressing my strongly held views about 'debarking' dogs and 'declawing' cats!) Not that either of those things are 'cosmetic'.

And yes I do think AZZ needs a day off (or at least a 'little lie down' lol!)

Perhaps we could have that as one of the Debate subjects?
'debarking dogs' ??? that just made me feel sick
I don't think I could stay civil if that was ever discussed in a 'yeah I'm doing this' kind of way.

Puppy classes, I find that an interesting topic. What kind, how many puppies, how they're held, how old should the puppies be, how old should they be when they leave their mums etc.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 08:01 AM
OK I will stop being a devil and make a sensible suggestion!

Can you AFFORD a dog? By this I mean not just the cost of buying the dog in the first place, but the ongoing cost - especially if the dog turns out to have chronic health problems that require regular medication. Or should the dog be involved in an accident requiring thousands of pounds for surgery and you have no insurance.

Can you afford not to insure it?

In fact instead of me waffling about it in here I will start it now. As this 'suggestions for threads' thread seems to be turning into where the suggested subjects are being discussed!
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
How about whether it is justifiable to import and breed 'new to the UK' breeds that have no real function in the UK and still have a very strong guarding drive?

I am thinking of some of the Eastern European flock guardian breeds that have been bred specifically to live outside and be wary of strangers and to attack if required.

Personally, although I am sure there are people who would (and do) do their utmost to provide these dogs with safe and loving homes and ensure the dogs are not put in situations where they could be a danger to other animals or people, I am also worried by the sort of prices they seem to be commanding and the whole issue of owning a dog as some sort of status symbol.

Also, surely it only takes a few unscrupulous people to start breeding without due consideration to health and temperament and although it is no fault of the dogs themselves, it's going to far harder to re-home and work with a problem dog that was never meant to be a pet in the first place. Aren't rescues coping with enough already?

Or should anyone have whatever breed they want, as long as they can cope - regardless of the wider implications?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Good idea Kanie - I've copied your post into a new thread

Importing breeds to the UK that may be 'problematic'
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
What about a spaying/neutering debate? Always seems to be a fave on any dog forum you visit
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2