Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Breed Specific Legislation

APDT position:

http://www.apdt.com/about/ps/breed_specific_legis.aspx

Good points maded, so for discussion here...what is the answer then?

To me there are 3 key issues, IMO
  1. there are too many dogs in rescue
  2. there are too many owners either with or without ingorance who do not know how to handle their dogs
  3. there are too many dog attacks

So, to control all this, there must be control measures. What could they be? What are the solutions?
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Interesting thread.

To me I think BSL has just about proven itself to be useless!
As stated in article..........It suggests these breeds are dangerous and all others are fine!
The Bsl has caused so much pain and heart ache for owners of these breeds and the dogs alike.

Not sure what the answer is, but things need to change.

Educating owners and the general public.
I would like to see more pro- active training available for the owners of these type of dogs and encouraging the owners......especially the "status dog" owners....If these youngsters with their "hard " dogs had somewhere to take the dogs and learn about training in a fun way, maybe that would help the general public to see these dogs as pets and not monsters!

It seems to be a certain type of owner that has caused public fear of these dogs.............education and training could make a lot of difference.

There are far too many dog attacks.........but generally its only the larger bull breeds and staffies thet make the head lines.........there are far too many dog attacks from ALL breeds!

I will be following this thread with great interest.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
IMO the solution is competency testing.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Personally, I would like to see more proactive training for people who have dogs of ALL breeds. This ultimately isn't about bully breeds vs. everyone else. And bully breeds aren't the only "status dogs." I've seen people get Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherd Dogs as status dogs too.

But the reality is that any untrained, poorly trained, or unsocialized dog can bite, no matter what it's breed or size is. Better education and more opportunities to get good training for people and their dogs is needed.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
More comprehensive home checking/competency testing/education from ALL rescues and breeders.

A compulsory training scheme for all dog owners and their dogs.

But this will never be funded in a million years...