Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 06:43 PM

New dog-biting fly in the UK

Just crossposting this from another forum (and yes I do got the owners permission to post the pics )

There is apparently a new fly in the UK that has a taste for dogs. It's possibly come over from America, as someone on the forum from California recognised the marks as fly bites and said that their greyhounds got them too.

This is what it looks like, though apparently this is quite an extreme case! She must be very tasty

Freya's owner consulted with a vet about it and he confirmed that it is from fly bites. The bites are painless and don't seem to cause any discomfort, and seem to occur in short or sparse fur. The fly itself lives in long grass and is tiny and gnat-like, hard to spot but sometimes swarms. The vet recommended that she gave Frey some benadryl, and today the bites are almost gone, thankfully!
So if you see anything like that don't think your dog is dying
Seawitch
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I think it looks a bit like Ring Worm, nobody should dismiss rashes like this as harmless American fly bites.
I have a rash just like this, I checked my dog very carefully for Ring Worm my doctor originally diagnosed but could find nothing to blame her, in the end it turned out to be psoriasis, which isn't contagious.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Seawitch View Post
I think it looks a bit like Ring Worm, nobody should dismiss rashes like this as harmless American fly bites.
I have a rash just like this, I checked my dog very carefully for Ring Worm my doctor originally diagnosed but could find nothing to blame her, in the end it turned out to be psoriasis, which isn't contagious.
Does't ringworm look like this

in dogs ?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
That's what I thought Dyane. Ringworm wouldn't dissapear overnight either..
Still, obviously if any weird marks or bumps appear the dog should go to the vet, none of us hrer would dismiss it I'm sure