Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Advice please on bringing a dog into France

I would be really grateful if those of you who have recently taken a dog to France could tell me whether the French authorities impose any requirements additional to those imposed by our pet passport rules.

We are taking Cox there in the summer and all his pet passport requirements have been taken care of, so I'm clear on the requirements for getting back into the UK.

Alternatively does anyone know what organisation in France I should contact to check whether there are any requirements imposed by the French for getting him into France?

Many thanks
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
i dont really know anything but i think there is a lot of info on the defra website...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
if you area a permanent resident in France there are a couple of things - I think you need 3rd party insurance and your dog must be chipped or tatooed.
kathyg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
We take our 2 dogs to France quite a few times.

Your dog must be chipped. They always check the chip. Good idea to go to the vets and see where the chip is as some of them migrate around the body and you don't want to be faffing around at the docks trying to find it.

Rabies jab ~ at least 6 months from the date of the CLEAR test has to be left before you can take your dog to France. So apply about 8 or 9 months before you are intending going as if your dog fails the test then you have to start all over again.

Tick and flea treatment has to be specific. Check with DEFRA. Our vet deals with pets passports all the time so she knows what to administer, as any reputable vet should, so speak to your vet.

Take pets passport with you at all times. No microchip, no pets passport. The microchip number goes on ALL the paperwork, Tattoo is not needed.

Leaving and returning ~ tick and flea treatment has to be within a specified time (can't remember exactly, I will have to look it up for when we go in June), something like 24 or 48 hours before your departure. Take addresses and telephone numbers of all vets en route, just in case on your return, you are delayed for any reason. Last time we came back from France, people were refused the Ferry and not allowed to return to the UK because their paperwork was wrong and in one instance, because the dog wasn't chipped (or they couldn't find it).

Certain dogs (look on the Defra Website) are not allowed into France. Some dogs like Staffies are only allowed in if KC registered. Staffie crosses are not allowed in at all and could be taken off you at any time during your stay, by the authorities.