Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Harness info please

I would appreciate some info on harnesses please, coz the ONLY reason I use one is, I don't want to harm my puppy's neck with the extendable lead until it gets taken off. No, I don't want to use a normal type lead because we're out in the sticks, no town, no traffic, no cars, no nothing, but when I do get out of the car I want a certain amount of control to see just what is around, i.e. a tractor, sheep, horses, dogs on their own etc. etc. before I actually take the stretchy lead off, so I don't want her to have to be right next to me, whilst I'm fighting with another big dog, the car keys etc. etc. I might also have to put a lead back on her for other reasons during a nice walk too, so that's another reason I use a stretchy, at least she has more freedom that way for the time being anyways.

I hate stretchy leads at the best of times, but for the moment, while she's relatively untrained and needs to be free for a certain part of our walk, it just has to be. I almost broke my rescue dog's neck when he took off once on a stretchy when I first had him, I just couldn't let him off coz he had NO recall whatsoever at that time, never having been out without a lead, and as he got to the end of it chasing after another dog, I clung on, and pulled him over by his neck! Hence the reason I don't like collars now combined with a stretchy! A collar is going to be fine when I'm off this stretchy lead with my puppy, but for now, when I have to use a harness, I really would appreciate some info on them, i.e.

Best one to use for freedom of movement without chaffing please?

Another question, why aren't they allowed in training classes then?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, coz I know diddly squat about these things, and like I said, if I didn't have to use the stretchy (which I won't be soon!) I wouldn't have the need for one. Thanks!
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I have just bought my two fleece harness's they are great very lightweight, and because they are fleece lined right round, they are very comfy and no chaffing at all definitely the best harness i have tried
You can get them at Dog-Games.co.uk

Jann
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I know a lot of bullie owners like this one cause its padded
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/newshop/H...+Fleece+Lined/
the one I got for Toro, Ferplast make it, and its called an ergo comfort tattoo harness, its a lovely fit on Toro.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 05:25 PM
If it has a plastic clasp, make sure it has two D rings you can attach the lead to. Plastic can break and shear - it happened to us.
I had the clasp on one of Missy's collars break - she was trained to heed the sit which she did. You do not want a loose dog and no control.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Metuki T Touch harness teaches your dog balance as well as being very comfy

When used for training the traditional harness has no control over the dogs head & therefore no directional control. The T Touch harness is used with a double ended lead one of which is attached in the traditional place & the other on the ring on the left side at the left elbow/houlder area
Ceefer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:06 PM
With fear of sounding totally stupid but what is a stretchy??
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
I have just bought my two fleece harness's they are great very lightweight, and because they are fleece lined right round, they are very comfy and no chaffing at all definitely the best harness i have tried
You can get them at Dog-Games.co.uk

Jann
Thanks Jann, I'll go and check that one out. Of course fleece will stop any chaffing, so that one sounds good to me!

Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I know a lot of bullie owners like this one cause its padded
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/newshop/H...+Fleece+Lined/
the one I got for Toro, Ferplast make it, and its called an ergo comfort tattoo harness, its a lovely fit on Toro.
I think I saw the Ergo ones in P@H maybe? I'll check them out online anyways, fleece again, so should be good for what I want. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MissE View Post
If it has a plastic clasp, make sure it has two D rings you can attach the lead to. Plastic can break and shear - it happened to us.
I had the clasp on one of Missy's collars break - she was trained to heed the sit which she did. You do not want a loose dog and no control.
No I don't! The metal ring is well away from the plastic clip on the side of this harness. That's exactly what worried me about the collar I bought, I thought to myself, if that plastic clip gives way, I've had it, and that's why I've gone the harness route along with my other reasons above. She only has to have the lead when we go past a certain spot where she can get through to the sheep (which she did this morning coz I forgot to put her lead back on at that spot Luckily, she is under control, so she came running back to me, I grabbed her harness and dragged her back under!) Thanks Pat, I'm definitely going to buy another collar now for training, but possibly, they will want her in a half check anyways, I don't know till I get there

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Metuki T Touch harness teaches your dog balance as well as being very comfy

When used for training the traditional harness has no control over the dogs head & therefore no directional control. The T Touch harness is used with a double ended lead one of which is attached in the traditional place & the other on the ring on the left side at the left elbow/houlder area
Perfect! Thanks Dyane, I should have realised that shouldn't I, but like I say, she's rarely on her lead at the moment, but will be on Monday for our first training class, and I think I'd better get her a collar for that, they won't like the harness I'm sure! I really like the look of that harness there too!

Thanks guys Off shopping again then!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ceefer View Post
With fear of sounding totally stupid but what is a stretchy??
Lol that's my cackhanded word for an extendable lead, I've always called them "stretchies"

Edited to add: These should NEVER be used for a gsd above this age quite honestly, they're far too strong for them, and hyper, they break, they're dangerous and I hate them, but I use mine very, very carefully and only for a minute or so at a time never longer, I wouldn't dream of walking her out with one of these EVER!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Patch recommended 'trail style' harness for Cassie and this is what we bought. Really pleased with it.

http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/aca...s_harness.html
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 07:25 PM
i use these

love them as they are comfy & safe to be let off the lead in

Ive also got them in Hi Vis for winter walks!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >