Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Hi,

We're certainly interested in getting our Beagle involved in something like this. Being a Beagle what she'd really love is drag hunting and we are trying (without much success so far) to drum up some interest.

But tracking would be great for her too. We've done little bits and pieces from books and videos and she picks it up very quickly. We started her on 'scrub tracks' where we'd trample the grass with our feet and lay little trails for her to follow. She was superb at it. We started putting her breakfast out in the garden and laying a track to it. As soon as we let her out she'd pick up the scent immediately and zoom along the track at high speed finding her food every time. Then after about week she'd go to the back door, put her nose in the air and then head straight for her dinner. I guess air scenting was more efficient than tracking

Anyway, we're in Glasgow, but already we travel up to Kincardine Bridge every Sunday to take her Beagle racing (chasing a lure, whippet-style). So we're certainly interested in hearing how things go. Our biggest concern with our pup is letting her off lead in unfamiliar surroundings as once she picks up a scent her ears switch off! Do you keep yours on lead for tracking?
Hi scarter,

Beagle racing sounds fascinating, I must come and have a look - Kincardine bridge isn't too far away from me. Your dog sounds great for tracking, with my dog I do free search and find, off lead of course, but tracks are on lead/line but then again my dog is a gsd, he's not a problem off lead. But as skilaki has already said, tracking proper is done with a harness and long line - w/t tracking that is .... I don't as yet have a harness so will just use a flat collar.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4