Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9maxie
New Member!
Male 

08-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Mites

Does anyone know how long it takes to get rid of mites in dogs?
I have 3 dogs that have thinning fur mainly around the eyes and they are currently being treated against the cheyletiella (walking dandruff) mite. So far they have had 2 treatments, but I have to wait 4 weeks between each one.
Initially they were scratching all the time but this has stopped now, so I am assuming this has to be good news, and they are otherwise very healthy. I'm just worried about the fur which although doesn't seem to be getting any worse, it's not improving yet either.
The vet said it will grow back, but it doesn't stop me from worrying!
I just wondered if anyone has had the same happen to their dogs. Many thanks!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2018, 08:06 AM
My heart goes out to you ... mange mites can be absolute hell to get rid of. About 5 or 6 years ago my daughter's cat picked up mange mites when at the vets being castrated. He infected the 2 dogs we had at the time, Tai - a long-haired Utonagan, and Ben, a similar type x wolfdog. We and those poor dogs went through hell. This was sarcoptic mange, less common and worse than Demodex. These mites burrow under the skin of both humans and animals, leaving visible tracks and they itch like hell. It took us years to get rid of them, using Advocate. It sounds like you do not have the sarcoptic type, thank God, but keep a close eye on the dogs and do not hesitate to revisit the vet if you are worried. The fur will grow back, don't worry and good luck!
k9maxie
New Member!
Male 

08-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks Gnasher, wow that sounded awful, poor dogs of yours.

I'll definitely keep monitoring the situation with my dogs, I'm just grateful they aren't displaying symptoms associated with sarcoptic mange, I get the impression they are a much more aggressive type of mite. Thanks again