Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Wondering about nail growth/cutting

My third Toller is now 13 months old. I have had to cut her nails three time. I did the first and had a pro do the next two.

Our first Toller never had his nails cut.
Our second didn't need it until she was 15 and less active.

The third is about as active as the first two, so why are her nails always so long? Do some dogs (of the same breed) just grow faster, or is there something else?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2018, 10:19 AM
It can depend on the degree of arch in the toes, and the angle of the pastern to the ground. Also, like people, some dogs nails just grow faster than others. My Beagle boy has a thicker nail than my bitch, but hers grow faster and need regular tipping.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
It can depend on the degree of arch in the toes, and the angle of the pastern to the ground. Also, like people, some dogs nails just grow faster than others. My Beagle boy has a thicker nail than my bitch, but hers grow faster and need regular tipping.
As above, it will all depend on the angles of the feet and structure along with individual nail growth
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
We have 4 girls, they all get the same amounts of exercise, but all on grassy walks. Two of them, mother and daughter, have lovely compact claws which seldom need touching. The other two, again, mother and daughter, have horrible claws that grow so long and thin. (the daughter of this pair is constantly digging when we are out, but this does nothing for the growth of her claws)!

Their claw shapes are quiet different.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2018, 07:42 AM
My dog has these stupid claws on both hind feet. They grow insanely fast and grow like hooks. They can grow into the pad if left unchecked and cause infection. They're black and very thick and he HATES having them cut. The quick is far down as well so they bleed easily. All in all... Total nightmare.