Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Activities for Lurchers ?

Hi

I have a rescue lurcher , he is 2 and half. I have had him 6 months and his recall is now almost perfect, he will fetch and bring back his ball and always follows the leave it command.

He loves to run and jump and fetch and wondered if there is anything I can involved in with him for him to have fun doing these sorts of things. I live in the Midlands and there is a game fair there in Sept with lurcher racing , I dont know much about it and any advice would be much appreciated.

I want to do something that will be fun for me and my dog. He is really food orientated so that has made training much easier.

Many Thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.countrymanfairs.co.uk/midland-game-fair

Usually some sort of racing there.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Lurchers can do well at agility and obience too, well better at obience then a lot of people think they can, I've seen some Greyhounds do very well at obience tasks, basically the world is your oyster, whatever you want to do, aslong as the time is put in and its fun for both of you I think you should be able to do with different degrees of success you could even look for some flyball clubs, as in them the dogs run, jump and fetch
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks definitley for fun for my doggie and me, if he enjoys it then I would carry it on , just not sure where to start , can you just take dogs along to these events e.g. the Midlands Fair or is there someting I can do beforehand , I suppose I should try and find a club locally to let him have a go but have had little success with googling !
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 11:47 AM
What about lure coursing ?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I am not sure what lure coursing involves but I will google, thanks for the replies