register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which CM methods do you use on your dog?
Do you make sure your dog has enough exercise? 26 68.42%
Do you use "calm Energy" when handling your dogs? 7 18.42%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for attention? 1 2.63%
Have you ever used Foot tapping for correction? 0 0%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for attention 1 2.63%
Have you ever used "tsstg" for correction 1 2.63%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for attention 0 0%
Have you ever used the "hand bite" for correction 0 0%
Do you use prong collars 0 0%
Do you use the illusion collar, or other NONslip slipcollar 0 0%
Have you ever used flooding to overcome your dogs fear 0 0%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the floor 1 2.63%
Have you ever pinned your dog to the fllor for any reason other than aggression 1 2.63%
Do you alpha roll your dog? 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 27 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But this is somethign CM does on a regular basis, with some of his clients dogs.
Indeed it is ... but NOT solely and exclusively.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If you want to cycle, fine. But don`t imagine your dog is learning anything from it.
Norty Scarter - for not going through every breed !!

And Norty Norty Scarter and Norty Norty Gnasher for inflicting an enjoyable pastime on their dogs !! God forbid they should ever do something from which they will learn nothing
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Norty Scarter - for not going through every breed !!

And Norty Norty Scarter and Norty Norty Gnasher for inflicting an enjoyable pastime on their dogs !! God forbid they should ever do something from which they will learn nothing
I say they do learn something.

My dogs don't need me to cycle with them. They'd happily run for miles in open countryside without giving a damn that I'm nowhere in sight. I doubt there are many beagle owners that haven't struggled to curb this obsession, and there are probably few that haven't 'lost' their dog for several hours because of this.

It's tricky, but you *can* have a pretty reliable recall with a lot of hard work (although very few achieve it). But if the dog's not within earshot it's not much use. Which means you need to keep your dog close when it's off lead. Again, this *can* be done with a lot of hard work (but very few achieve it). But if the dog is close then it ain't doing much Beagle-style fast running over distance.

I'm not yet competent enough a bike rider to take my dogs with me. Still practicing. But I bought the bikes because they were recommended by quite a few beagle owners as a means of addressing the problem of 'beagling' (i.e. Beagles picking up a scent when off-lead and disapearing over the horizon baying their heads off, sometimes not to be seen again for several hours. And sadly, sometimes never to be seen alive again).

Most beagle owners have a few 'safe' places where they'll risk letting their dogs off-lead. Few will let them off-lead in new or strange places. There's just too much temptation for the dogs. Biking Beagle owners have found that because the bike is fast the dog stays with them. They can let them off-lead in all sorts of new places without fear of the dog leaving their side. Presumably it's a combination of the run with the 'pack' being exciting and rewarding (unlike a boring walk), and the fact that you are going fast so the dog knows that if it does wander off for a sniff you'll be long gone when he finally comes back to find you.

So the experience of those that have tried it is that the dog is indeed learning to stay close when off lead (as opposed to learning that the best fun is to be had if you wander off on your own).

We run with ours and they do really enjoy it. It's something to do with the instinct to 'run with the pack' I think. But we aren't fast enough and our dogs are doing little more than a jog. I can't wait to start cycling with them - they'll love it!!! I'll see if I can dig out the messages from some of the Beagle owners that have been advising me re biking.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Here we are. Some experiences of Beagle owners that are having success with biking. It was thanks to one of these ladies that we got bikes for our dogs:

I have a 20 month old beagle, Chigley, & I too have “safe” places where I let him off lead without worry,and new locations off lead are a definite no, no….too many new smells to distract a beagle nose!
I have found that as he’s got older, incidences of beagling have got fewer, but I’ve also found a solution for off lead action…mountain biking! Chigley absolutely loves it, so much so that as soon as I put his harness on he starts barking & we always set off to a full beagle fanfare! It’s like setting off on a one beagle/bike hunt! ( at quite a pace too until the initial excitement wears off!)
I use a Trixie Biker set which has a distance keeper to keep the dog away from the bike & an elastic leash to take the shock out of any lead jerks,etc. We use this to travel along the cycle paths & then when on forest trails & bridleways I let him off & he runs along with me….usually in front, but any dalliances to stop & sniff are kept short as he doesn’t want to be left behind & wants to “lead the hunt”. I think this satisfies his in-built need to run & I can keep up! He’ll now stop at junctions to see which way we’re going too! We can happily be out for several hours ( with stops for me to recharge!) & Chig never shows any sign of tiredness & gives the impression he could go all day! ( as he would in a days hunting).
I’ve successfully visited several new forestry commission sites with cycle trails & had no incidences of beagling off into the distance.
My beagle Angus loves running with my bike! Like you, my husband and I bought our bikes in our quest to find better ways to exercise our dogs (although I have you to thank for introducing us to flyball). His running when I’m on the bike is comparable to off-leash running so he gets tired faster than when we go on runs or hikes. A little advice though, avoid using x-backed harnesses when you bike with your dog since it’s fairly easy for them to get out of those. If Beanie and Biggles show reluctance towards running with the bikes, introduce it to them first by walking them next to it. And don’t forget to let them do their number ones and twos before getting on the bike! Good luck!
Over this year we have progressed from the riverside cycle path & the quarry, to visiting new territory – local forests with cycle tracks & fire roads, where we bravely let him off for the first time! . We’ve also done some local bridleways acros & around farmland – prime rabbit & hare territory. To date he has always stuck with us & after initially being distracted by other dogs, MacDonald’s bags, etc, he now lopes past with only a quick sniff, preferring to stick with his biker pack!
I’ve also had a couple of instances with him running off after other bikes if they pass by us when out walking, but he was easily called off them & now doesn’t bother.

We have covered almost 20 miles on a couple of trips, always with plenty of stops for a drink & a rest ( for me – Chig doesn’t seem at all tired). I also check his paws to see if they are suffering from any soreness, as he doesn’t get much hard “road work” & his pads are not really thick & hard, but he has not shown any sign of a problem at all with this.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
no you said that I said that this was all CM advocated. I didn't.
Becky
i didnt say you said that was all he advocated, i said, that in terms of exercise you said he only advocates using bikes or roller blades... which he does not.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
i think, that exercise all depends on the individual dog (or specific breeds). what is best for one, isnt necessarily the best for another.

i also think variety is the best. for jake, i give him off lead exercise where he can run around crazy and also have a sniff and investigate but he gets onlead walks where he can he get a sniff but at a more calmer pace. i also think i will start biking with him, not all the time maybe just a couple of times a week. that wont be until he is older though, and i will only keep it up if he enjoys it... same as i am planning doing agility with him, but only if he enjoys it.

people know their own dogs, and know what is best for them and what they enjoy. i think only they can judge what is the best form for their dog...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Indeed it is ... but NOT solely and exclusively.

Mmmmm, have you ever seen any other TV trainer strap an unfit dog to a skateboard or bike and tow them into exhaustion.

I think you could say , t on that he is exclusive
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
"

He does seem to be terribly injured to me, I think I had better take him to the vet tomorrow and tell her how worried about him I am because I have been so wicked and cruel and over-exercised my poor boy
The injuries come later in life.

[QUOTE=Gnasher;1791143]Tai pretty well ALWAYS has a warm up before we set off on bikes Annajayne. Please don't tell me how to treat my dog.

I wouldn't dream of telling you how to treat your dog.
Likewise, don't try to sell your training methods to me. I happen to think they are cruel, that is my view also, and I am entitled to it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I think you CAN overexercise your dog
With the crosses I have I have been told by many people - including some vets that 'its natural for collie type dogs to need to run up to 80 miles a day'
I know collie owners who are up every morning at 6 am taking their dogs for 2 hour long run, home at lunchtime for 1 hour, home at teatime 2 hours then another 2 hours in the evening
Result - super fit over stimulated dogs who are 'on' all the time, always bugging for a game or attention or something

Doing agility (and more importantly loving my dogs and wanting to keep them healthy) I want to keep my dogs in good condition and fit - but they have their regular exercise - about 1-2 hours a day spred over 3 walks, some special long walks - 2+ hours about once a week mibby more mibby less but more important to me is the structure that has my dogs having lots of chilling times - just being lazy

A friend of mine has a young collie, it had a v nasty injury that basically ment he was on cage rest for about 6 months

exercise was not possible
What happend to the dogs behaviour?? It was totaly fine because it was given good mental stimulation and it had already been taught a good 'off switch'
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think you CAN overexercise your dog
With the crosses I have I have been told by many people - including some vets that 'its natural for collie type dogs to need to run up to 80 miles a day'
I know collie owners who are up every morning at 6 am taking their dogs for 2 hour long run, home at lunchtime for 1 hour, home at teatime 2 hours then another 2 hours in the evening
Result - super fit over stimulated dogs who are 'on' all the time, always bugging for a game or attention or something

Doing agility (and more importantly loving my dogs and wanting to keep them healthy) I want to keep my dogs in good condition and fit - but they have their regular exercise - about 1-2 hours a day spred over 3 walks, some special long walks - 2+ hours about once a week mibby more mibby less but more important to me is the structure that has my dogs having lots of chilling times - just being lazy

A friend of mine has a young collie, it had a v nasty injury that basically ment he was on cage rest for about 6 months

exercise was not possible
What happend to the dogs behaviour?? It was totaly fine because it was given good mental stimulation and it had already been taught a good 'off switch'
thats a good point. jakes not been walked (first one tonight) since monday coz he had an op. i thought he would be going crazy but he has been a lot better than i expected, he has his moments but he is still young so i cant expect him not too, but on the whole he has been really good. my boy has surprised me
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 27 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »