View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Dogs seem to be very different with their own cats. One of my dogs hates cats, but likes his own. Once he works out that they're part of the gang he becomes protective towards them, and let's them clamber over him, hang off his muzzle, etc. He does get a bit upset when they purr, as he doesn't understand it.

My other dog just wants to play, and cats that we've had from kittens seem to love it. Our old cat just let her know he wasn't interested with a few hisses and swipes, and she soon gave up.

My mother had border terriers and cats that lived very happily together...they'd all go on walks together, and one of the cats would leap on any strange dogs they met, earning him the nickname of Catweiler.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I would imagine mum would get a rescue cat, her previous three were all rescues for one reason or another, her last cat was fantastic with dogs, she regularly set upon dogs visiting the village but would share her cat food with next door’s hound!

As mum knows the dog is a regular visitor she will hopefully try and get a cat that is used to dogs, but then it depends what they have when she starts looking (she was very upset at the loss of our old cat and this is the first time in 6 years she has made positive comments towards getting another).
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 03:55 PM
It is not always true that cats will be assertive or sort a dog out.

I've had 8 cats at different times with different dogs. Only 4 were assertive while some were nervous 3 would run from the dog, which is just what a dog wants. So I train my dogs to respect the cats & not to chase them.

They all ended up living happily together although this was a challenge with 1 whippet.It very much depends on the cats temperament of the cat.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2