Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Dogs and cats

I have a 8.5 month old Border Terrier, now he shows no malice towards cats, but being a baby he just wants to make friends and play with them.

This doesn't go down too well.

My mother is planning on getting another cat in the future so I want to try and get him to ignore them, as far as he is concerned they MUST want to play with him (because EVERYONE wants to play with him).

How can I teach him to ignore cats? Took him to one friend's house at the weekend and the cats hissed and floofed themselves up. I think I have another friend with cats that are used to dogs.

Any advice greatly apprecaited.

(In regards to other floofies he bounded off last week to 'greet' some rabbits but as they had dissapeared into the woods by the time he arrived he came back when I called him, with dogs that don't want to play he doesn't see to understand the meaning of the word no but he will lie down and be submissive, he's a VERY friendly little chap!)
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Anyone? Would be interested in hearing your views?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 12:21 PM
We used to have 5 cats and 3 dogs basically the cats taught the dogs what was OK and what wasn't. It's a brave or possibly stupid dog that doesn't listen and learn quickly. They all lived happily for many years.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 03:34 PM
We have 2 border terriers and a lurcher, and a cat, in the house. The cat loves to wind the dogs up.....

Helen
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree with Julie, cats will very quickly assert themselves when it comes to what is acceptable playful behaviour and what is not.

Guinness was very overly playful with our cat to begin with, but once he'd had a couple of smacks from Tyr he soon toned down his enthusiasm and learned not to disturb him when he was sleeping and not to try to continue playing once Tyr had walked away, etc.

For weeks after Tyr had to be PTS Guinness kept going to places where he used to like to sit and whining. I'm sure he was looking for him.

ETA: Watching a greyhound with an oversized tennis ball in his mouth play bowing to a cat is hilarious.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Yep I agree with others the cats will sort him out if he gets to much I have 8 dogs and 6 cats all of them fine together, nice that he is friendly with them
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I have two spaniels and 3 cats and the cats rule the roost. They will let your dog know the limits and will often tempt your dog to push that limit much to the cats enjoyment - well, that's what happens in my house. Ours all play together, annoy each other, sleep together and tolerate each other. They will find a balance (or heierarchy) naturally
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Is it a cat your mum is getting or a kitten? If its the latter you will need to be careful as kittens are fragile little creatures. We have two Boxers and five cats, the dogs came first however our dogs are very laid back and devoted to their cats as the cats are to them

Contact Borderdawn here on Dogsey as she has cats and Border Terriers
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We used to have 5 cats and 3 dogs basically the cats taught the dogs what was OK and what wasn't. It's a brave or possibly stupid dog that doesn't listen and learn quickly. They all lived happily for many years.
Only really works if you've got a bolshy moggie who's going to stand their ground and not run away - ours rapidly brought the two dogs into line, to the level where they won't get on the sofa if she's on it, and if she wants the sofa - she hisses at the dogs and the dogs move and vacate the seat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >