Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Ball daft!

Now I have tried playing fetch with Dougal out on our walks before but he wasn't showing any interest, even when I took a ball with me and tried while we were out.

Well in the last two weeks, he has gone ball mad! I got a chucker earlier when we got Dougal first, he had shown no interest except eating it. Thank goodness I kept it away from him. Cause now I have a use for it.

Now he takes this damp grassy ball and dumps it on your knee for you to throw for him, and out on walks when we get back (for some odd reason it is ONLY when we get back) he will play fetch with the ball for a good 10 to 15 minutes, won't play it on the way out.

I have no idea why, or where this came from but it's keeping him occupied And it's fun for me too (although I did wrench my arm a bit last night).
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 09:39 PM
the onyl thing Bruno does with balls is burst them instantly - he has a running competition as to how quickly they can be burst !!!

Glad that you have managed to find a way to tire Dougal out !!!! LOL
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
the onyl thing Bruno does with balls is burst them instantly - he has a running competition as to how quickly they can be burst !!!

Glad that you have managed to find a way to tire Dougal out !!!! LOL
Oh don't worry, if it's a football it will last about 10 seconds, but the tennis balls seem to last a little longer. I've had one in the living room for a couple of nights and he's managed to destroy it only tonight. An all time record
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
we bought 10 mini footballs off ebay a while back and he had them burst in one day !!!! yet to beat that record !!!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Those chuckers are great, aren't they!
Keeps my two occupied when there is other mischief about. I keep mine for walks where I know there are distractions I'd rather they avoid or if they really need to let off steam. The focus and chasing really tires them out!

They have quite a routine going. They sit waiting for me to throw, then both chase it. Willow catches is while Archie runs a circle around her. She brings it back 2/3 of the way and then stops holding it in her mouth or drops it on the ground. When she sees fit she lets Archie grab it, run his lap of honor and return it to me... And repeat as before.

I must add; the whole time Archie doesn't have the ball in his mouth he barks excitedly; any wonder people think I have the most insane dogs ever.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:43 AM
My older dont bother with balls but Georgie and Daisy sure know how to play football
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
we bought 10 mini footballs off ebay a while back and he had them burst in one day !!!! yet to beat that record !!!
haha my staff is a royal pain in the a3se with footballs - i use to run and sponsor a mens footie team and spent a fortune on half a dozen match balls. For my sins i left my garage open and poodled off down the garden to do something else - he got in - took them out one by one from the football ball carrier and burst them.

He is ball made big and small and will puncture anything with air in it!

He wont acknowledge treats, animals anything when the ball is in my hand

i heard somewhere that playing fetch encourages prey drive - well i ive got a tennis ball in my hand he could have a rabbit perched on his noddle and he wouldnt bat an eyelid
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like Jacks been having a word in his ear
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Must be something in the air Hun....Bruce was only interested in fetching Skye 'down' but over the last week and half he now likes his 'own' ball, so now Dad plays with Skye, I play with Bruce, and Reah just does her own thing...Bless
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
he is very ball possessive as well - so i have to stand in my paddock and throw paddy a ball in one direction and then Lola my GSD a balll in the totally opposite direction.

If he sees her ball in flight he will leave his for hers then go and try and get his - unluckily for him he aint no BC in the brains department and its a painful couple of minutes of confused staff stop starting between two balls as me and Lola look on.

He is a very obedient dog but is possessive over his balls ( no not those one - they are in a pickling jar in the vets )
once he had a huge english bulldog pester him for 5 minutes trying to hump him and it wasnt until the bulldog fell on his tennis balll that Pads decided he'd had enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >