View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 10:31 PM

"Training" results in death of a GSD... (Alpha Roll)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...ddog_0719.html

The above link explains everything

This is old fashioned and outdated alpha roll taken to its extreme but it shows that bad training and lack of knowledge can actually result in the death of a dog.

The dog would not "submit" - at the end of this session it was blind and had internal injuries.

This technique was shown on UK tv a while back. Not to such extreme, but it was still shown.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Thats shocking, no the wonder the dog kicked at the stupid woman "over a hundred times" the poor thing was trying to tell her to get off, she was crushing the dog i have to say if it had if been my dog i would of told the stupid cow to get off . Poor thing, she crushed it to death, i wish someone would lie on top of her and let her see how it feels.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2006, 11:12 PM
How dreadful and so unnecessary..
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

13-08-2006, 06:56 AM
A sad and unnecessary death
Dragon
New Member!
Male 

13-08-2006, 08:05 AM
That is so s**t how can you do that and call yourself a dog trainer dogs should have more right's she should be put in a room with 10 bad ass dogs and see how her training goes then???? that would be the dogs who would pay again
so maybe not but it's so wrong
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 08:18 AM
What a shocking story ;-(

This trainer being nothing more than a bully to overpower the dog is not teaching the dog anything ;-(. Possitive skills to build on and grow with the family.

Gaining knowledge and exsperence training my grils. I would have known that unnessersary force was being used and would have stopped her. But it makes you realise how vulnerable we are when anyone can be a trainer. We trust them when they handle our dogs.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

13-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I think that the lesson to be learned is that if anyone, no matter their credentials/qualifications/experience, does anything to your dog, or suggests anything that you are not comfortable with or that you can see is making your dog unhappy ... then call an immediate halt. Ask the trainer to fully explain his/her methods. Why are they being implemented, what benefit are they to the dog, what results are expected to be achieved, what alternative methods are available.

If all is expalined then you can make an informed decision based on your intimate knowledge of your dog.

The bottom line is - if you are not happy with it don't do it, and don't allow it to be done to your dog.

Your dog doesn't have a voice - you do.

ETA - "Don't do anything that makes your dog unhappy" - I should qualify that to say that I don't mean that your dog's every whim should be indulged. Your dog may be 'unhappy' to do certain things that limit its enjoyment but which are necessary to its health and safety and to the health and safety of others. Your dog must be educated and guided, kindly but firmly, to respect you and to respect certain commonsense rules in order that he/she is pleasant to live with and is socially acceptable. The dog that knows it has a good leader and is aware of the acceptable boundaries of behaviour is a happy, confident companion.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Your dog doesn't have a voice - you do.
.....and don't be afraid to use it. Shout very loudly.

This was a very sad and unnecessary occurrence - heartbreaking
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2006, 02:47 PM
This is terrible. I personally would like to see the trainer and owner procecuted and banned from keeping dogs for life
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 03:08 PM
That is appalling - she can't know dogs very well if she didn't realise what a state he was in, poor dog must have suffered terribly.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >