Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I wanted to add
I dont have my dogs asking all day - but if the need is GREAT then that is different. They have to learn to hold it for notmal stuff, I walk them often enough and I dont need bugged every time they feel like grass munching (and I dont let them into the garden unsupervised - I have evil neighbours)
SO as puppies I let them ask
Then as they get older they stop asking because they get out regularly enough - but if they NEED to get out due to icky tummy then that is totaly different to having a tiny wee then a play every 20 min
Exactly, I think anyone sane would realise that in an emergency you react to your dogs and hopefully your observational skills are such that you are able to differentiate between attention seeking and an urgent need to evacuate.............................
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Exactly, I think anyone sane would realise that in an emergency you react to your dogs and hopefully your observational skills are such that you are able to differentiate between attention seeking and an urgent need to evacuate.............................
I think what Ben Mc suggested was a norm for most dogs that are walked well and aren't given constant garden access. That isn't what you said though.

My dogs rarely ask to go out as they don' see going out to toilet on concrete as a fun activity, they would rather be with me. They will ask to go out should they need to and indeed have been trained to do so.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What about it?

Why is that any different from urinating?

When my daugher was being toilet trained (she was out of nappies during the day by 10 months) all done with exceptionally quickly with very few accidents.

As a teacher, if a child needs to go, it needs to go, and of course by the time a child gets to school one hopes that they are already toilet trained by the age of 4!

Although speaking to some of my friends who are infant teachers it appears that some parents have not taught their children to be toilet trained, how to undo their clothes or wipe their bottoms, but that is their failure as parents.

I would always hope that I have the time, energy and inclination to be in charge of my dog's toileting.

I like to control when and where they go, so they never toilet inappropriately,

In my house, other people's houses, hotels, in public etc.

That is part of my job as an owner.

The same way as I control their feeding regime ie what they eat, where, and when.

And all sorts of other behaviours.

I DO want to control my dogs in that way, as this means that they have so much more freedom than many other dogs because I never have to worry about the possibilities of them being a pain.

But each to his own.
I don't feel any urge to control. I teach my dogs good
manners.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My back door is open most of the day anyway so the dogs have no need to ask to go out, they just go. As for dogs being trained not to ask to go out it's not something I would ever consider, mine know if they bark during the night I will go and investigate and let them out, better that than clearing up any dodgy tummy accidents
Mine only have access to my large Patio as the rest is seperated off so they don't ask to go out unless they need to.
Pretty much sums it up, sounds like my house.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Bandit used to ask, Millie does not, I don't have a problem with a dog asking to go out, if it needs to go to toilet, it needs to go.

I also take them out if they have not been out for a considerable time.

Just like potty training my kids if they danced around shouting wee wee, then I would take them to the toilet, I would not expect a toddler to be in tune with MY regime 24/7...and wait till I said they could go !
Yep. I would feel very uncomfortable about being in control of another sentient being's toileting- it is a basic
need and therefore IMO a basic right that they should be able to ask at the very least, to go out and spend.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
That is the problem with waiting for your dogs to ask to go out. They quickly learn to ask to go out to play/patrol/dig/bark etc.

Also what happens if they ask and you are out or don't notice.

If one of our dogs has a bad tummy they will whine or bark or paw at the door. Because they are not in the habit of doing it regularly it is a clear indication that they are not feeling well or they would just wait to be let out.
My dogs get let out into a spending area. It has no grass and nothing fun in it. It is a dog toilet. They go have a sniff, relieve themselves, then come back in. They do
not constantly ask to go in it as it isn't exciting.

My dogs alert me in different eays. Cosmo runs around with crossed legs barking and rattling the keys, Tango paces at the door, current foster stands and 'yips' which is hugely helpful as we are just getting to know her and she has a urine infection. The fosters that haven't been trained to alert are a nightmare initially!!! Bit messy as every dog does different things.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3