Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Never had a dog pee on the floor.

When I was a nanny and a mother, I did not wait for toddlers to tell me when they needed the toilet, I took them to the potty at regular times.

It is just simple, good animal husbandry to identify when your dogs need to go out before they tell us.

Harsh?

Well my dogs have always been very happy with this arrangement.

There are many ways to be a successful pet owner and to raise healthy, happy, content and fulfilled dogs.
What about poo?
When my son was toilet training, he pretty much did it himself before he was two and he let me know when he wanted to start it and when he needed to go. All done exceptionally quickly indeed with very few accidents.
As a teacher, if a child needs to go
to the toilet they need to go....
I do not have the time, energy or inclination to be in control of my dog's toileting, they are big enough and ugly enough to do that for themselves. I don't want to control them in that way. Did it with guide dogs for long enough, but in fairness even they needed to alert you to their need to spend.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
What about poo?
When my son was toilet training, he pretty much did it himself before he was two and he let me know when he wanted to start it and when he needed to go. All done exceptionally quickly indeed with very few accidents.
As a teacher, if a child needs to go
to the toilet they need to go....
I do not have the time, energy or inclination to be in control of my dog's toileting, they are big enough and ugly enough to do that for themselves. I don't want to control them in that way. Did it with guide dogs for long enough, but in fairness even they needed to alert you to their need to spend.
What about it?

Why is that any different from urinating?

When my daugher was being toilet trained (she was out of nappies during the day by 10 months) all done with exceptionally quickly with very few accidents.

As a teacher, if a child needs to go, it needs to go, and of course by the time a child gets to school one hopes that they are already toilet trained by the age of 4!

Although speaking to some of my friends who are infant teachers it appears that some parents have not taught their children to be toilet trained, how to undo their clothes or wipe their bottoms, but that is their failure as parents.

I would always hope that I have the time, energy and inclination to be in charge of my dog's toileting.

I like to control when and where they go, so they never toilet inappropriately,

In my house, other people's houses, hotels, in public etc.

That is part of my job as an owner.

The same way as I control their feeding regime ie what they eat, where, and when.

And all sorts of other behaviours.

I DO want to control my dogs in that way, as this means that they have so much more freedom than many other dogs because I never have to worry about the possibilities of them being a pain.

But each to his own.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I have separated my garden off. I choose when they go in the garden for playtime as it could be raining etc.

The know to go the the door of the utility room for going to toilet and then I let them out. Make no fuss once done they stand at the door to come back in.

Maybe you could try this, if she gets let out into the garden then thats playtime but if its just the fenced area thats toilet, just a thought. Also I would try to distract her when she is going nuts at the door, don't reward her for the behavior just distract her then once she is quiet and not actually asking to go out you could take her out.

Hope it works out for you xx
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Have to agree with Smokey on this. I have a regime based on his needs. 07.00 feeding time, then out down the lane for for walk/toilet. Mid morning into the car for a trip to the forest (best time of the day for Kodi). Afternoon and evening walks and bobs your uncle, job done.

He is only ever released into the garden when he is with me to play. This way my garden isnt turned into a dog toilet.

Kodi also likes to dig, usually copying me when i am weeding with a trowel. I usually just give him a knotted rope, or play with him for a while to use up his energy and take his mind off digging.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a large dogflap in the back door. Problem solved.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2012, 09:26 AM
My back door is open most of the day anyway so the dogs have no need to ask to go out, they just go. As for dogs being trained not to ask to go out it's not something I would ever consider, mine know if they bark during the night I will go and investigate and let them out, better that than clearing up any dodgy tummy accidents
Mine only have access to my large Patio as the rest is seperated off so they don't ask to go out unless they need to.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Bandit used to ask, Millie does not, I don't have a problem with a dog asking to go out, if it needs to go to toilet, it needs to go.

I also take them out if they have not been out for a considerable time.

Just like potty training my kids if they danced around shouting wee wee, then I would take them to the toilet, I would not expect a toddler to be in tune with MY regime 24/7...and wait till I said they could go !
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone thanks for the tips!

I have French doors so don't really want a dog flap in those
The digging pit....I have thought of a sand pit, but we have two cats and I don't want them to be thinking of it as a hue toilet for them! Hah. But we are looking into this

Fencing off the garden is a huuge argument of mine, and I think I'm slowly getting OH used to the idea. So that will help greatly.

As for asking to go out. My main worry was tht she might start weeing in the house. But up and down is too much for me. It's getting too regular.
As of today I have started being a lot stricter with her. And we have already made progress which I'm happy with.

Now the problem is OH as he is a softy lol!

Thank you everyone xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I wanted to add
I dont have my dogs asking all day - but if the need is GREAT then that is different. They have to learn to hold it for notmal stuff, I walk them often enough and I dont need bugged every time they feel like grass munching (and I dont let them into the garden unsupervised - I have evil neighbours)
SO as puppies I let them ask
Then as they get older they stop asking because they get out regularly enough - but if they NEED to get out due to icky tummy then that is totaly different to having a tiny wee then a play every 20 min
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:10 PM
That is the problem with waiting for your dogs to ask to go out. They quickly learn to ask to go out to play/patrol/dig/bark etc.

Also what happens if they ask and you are out or don't notice.

If one of our dogs has a bad tummy they will whine or bark or paw at the door. Because they are not in the habit of doing it regularly it is a clear indication that they are not feeling well or they would just wait to be let out.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >