Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
This is all getting very scientific here

I think instead of starting with training methods (and I dont mean forget them) if people (and no, not anyone in particular) just put the same emphasis on empathy and attention to detail in thier dogs first (the signs, no matter how fast before the action - and I realise this will catch you out/easy said), then moved onto a balance of limiting behaviours that are unwanted, rewarding behaviours that are, providing 'outlets' for certain drives etc, then you surely will at least not be harming your dog and be starting off with a good balanced view of how to 'move on' in training (for that particular dog)?

Not sure what others think of this?
Agree with this. Parker is very, very cat predatory and we live in a neighbourhood where a lot of the houses have cats. I have clicker trained him to be calm within a certain distance of cats and he can ignore them then and watch me. However, I cross the road when I get to the houses where they have really mean cats that lie in wait for unsuspecting dogs and attack them (yes this did happen to him) and he gets the chance to exert chase behaviour with his ball on the heath.

The 2 occasions where he has been off-lead and a cat has suddenly appeared in the middle of the heath he has taken off in frantic pursuit and recalled immediately when I have called him (to my surprise!). He then received a "jackpot" of treats.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't have anything constructive to add, but I just wanted to thank SB and especially Denise.

It is the first time anyone has ever said to me "some things are so ingrained that they cannot be totally changed", or words to that effect.

Jake is a car chaser. He used to stalk, twirl, lunge bark.. etc.

He still stalks, if not on a head collar. He no longer lunges, twirls or barks. I've achieved that with rewards for good behaviour (or just rewarding a car to start with!). I am under no illusions, if he was off lead, he would chase cars.

The solution is obvious, I never let Jake near a car off lead.

All the books I have read have fluffed this subject. There really is no answer is there?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Er what does that famous poem say? Something about wanting the willpower to change what can be changed and the acceptance for what can't be changed and the wisdom to know the difference.

I've tried for years to change Cherry's fear reactivity to other dogs. People have told me that I was wasting my time and that it was in her genes and I wouldn't get anywhere. Perhaps they were partly right as I will never be able to have her off-lead and mixing with other dogs as I can Parker. BUT she will now happily meet small dogs and familiar large dogs normally and ignore other dogs as long as they don't charge her so to me that is massive progress albeit not the end result I had in mind.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Hmmm. I'm never convinced by these "this will cure all" processes. In my view and experience, it often means that the writer/creator hasn't actually met or trained enough dogs yet!
But you can't say that of the author of this book

Diverting the chase instinct onto something else is also not practicle and not kind. She has HD in both hips, so chasing a ball or similar causes her pain,...
I agree this would be very difficult, and perhaps not practical in Cloud's particular case, however, the book is not a tailored individual programme, it's a general book for dog owners, after all. One can't cover every eventuality in a book, to be fair. It is, overall, a good book and a good method (IMO!)

The main points are that the target of chasing is altered, and that the dog's mood state is always taken into account so that the dog is fulfilled and doesn't just rely on chasing to produce "feel good" in its life.

I do recall at a seminar, DR was talking about one of his most difficult cases, a beardie that was crazy for chasing but it had really bad hip dysplasia. I cannot remember the resolution for that dog at all, or if indeed there was one.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I keep double posting, sorry! Mad morning!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 03:40 PM
My point being, play instils a bond and trust, and therefore, when you have that, your dog won't chase things it's not supposed to chase IMO!

An interesting opinion, however in my EXPERIENCE this is absolutely untrue!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I don't have anything constructive to add, but I just wanted to thank SB and especially Denise.

It is the first time anyone has ever said to me "some things are so ingrained that they cannot be totally changed", or words to that effect.

Jake is a car chaser. He used to stalk, twirl, lunge bark.. etc.

He still stalks, if not on a head collar. He no longer lunges, twirls or barks. I've achieved that with rewards for good behaviour (or just rewarding a car to start with!). I am under no illusions, if he was off lead, he would chase cars.

The solution is obvious, I never let Jake near a car off lead.

All the books I have read have fluffed this subject. There really is no answer is there?

Just out of interest, have you read the book under discussion? I only ask as you haven't mentioned trying to alter your dog's target of chasing, which is part of what is recommended. Sorry if I'm behind and you've done it and not found it helped

Wys
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My point being, play instils a bond and trust, and therefore, when you have that, your dog won't chase things it's not supposed to chase IMO!

An interesting opinion, however in my EXPERIENCE this is absolutely untrue!
and in my experience, being on my 8th german shepherd, it is or it has helped me, to say the least, it can't be dismissed! No, of course I don't have the qualifications for my gsd's like you do (never had the inclination), but I do have experience of having owned, well behaved obedient ones, who have never had the inclination to chase anything because they have me. I can't answer for rescues, because mine have been brought up and trained by me, it's totally different imo with rescues, they have never had the chance of testing my theory perhaps.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Just out of interest, have you read the book under discussion? I only ask as you haven't mentioned trying to alter your dog's target of chasing, which is part of what is recommended. Sorry if I'm behind and you've done it and not found it helped

Wys
x
No, I haven't read the book in question, but the poster did look up my particular problem, which wasn't really covered. The problem is, it isn't really a chasing thing. That is, I obviously have never let Jake actually chase a car. I'm not even sure if he would chase it, though I presume he would.

I have watched his natural behaviour to cars when we have been down a quiet lane, and you can hear one coming a mile away. He goes and lies in the middle of the road. I'm not sure if he is trying to herd them, chase them, or scared of them. He totally ignores motorbikes and tractors for instance. Maybe it is the sound a car makes? When we have had to pass a stationary oil delivery lorry, he has been really scared by it.

All of which makes it a bit hard to find something similar for him to focus on!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
No, I haven't read the book in question, but the poster did look up my particular problem, which wasn't really covered. The problem is, it isn't really a chasing thing. That is, I obviously have never let Jake actually chase a car. I'm not even sure if he would chase it, though I presume he would.

I have watched his natural behaviour to cars when we have been down a quiet lane, and you can hear one coming a mile away. He goes and lies in the middle of the road. I'm not sure if he is trying to herd them, chase them, or scared of them. He totally ignores motorbikes and tractors for instance. Maybe it is the sound a car makes? When we have had to pass a stationary oil delivery lorry, he has been really scared by it.

All of which makes it a bit hard to find something similar for him to focus on!
Border collie's tend to herd cars - have you tried agility or herding sheep lessons for him - this tends to work. I thought you meant he chases cars.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >