register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you Alpha Roll your dog?
No never and never will 43 89.58%
have done in the past but not needed to for a long time 4 8.33%
Yes do it regularly 0 0%
No, but would do if i thought it necessary 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2011, 01:23 AM
No. In a pack, the 'wild' dog would roll itself in submission - not be rolled by the alpha, surely that's anthropomorhising dogs as much as putting them in tutus.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I was in a class doing agility with Daisy (she was muzzled) as her rehabilitation / training was going quite well. The trainer held her at one end of the tunnel and I went to the other end to call her. As I ducked down she lost sight of me and panicked. The *^%£ing trainer threw her down and lay on her.
Daisy has been totally untrustworthy round trainers ever since.
She will tolerate policemen, blokes carrying ladders, screaming kids, crowds of hoodies...
but trainers hurt you. She knows this. Because it happened.
(I didn`t go back)
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:05 AM
NO!

How to ruin a relationship with one touch! Both my dogs trust me with their lives!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I was in a class doing agility with Daisy (she was muzzled) as her rehabilitation / training was going quite well. The trainer held her at one end of the tunnel and I went to the other end to call her. As I ducked down she lost sight of me and panicked. The *^%£ing trainer threw her down and lay on her.
Daisy has been totally untrustworthy round trainers ever since.
She will tolerate policemen, blokes carrying ladders, screaming kids, crowds of hoodies...
but trainers hurt you. She knows this. Because it happened.
(I didn`t go back)
Just shows how quickly it can do damage, sadly!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
I have done it once. Because my boy went from sitting to lunging at my aunts face. She knelt down to stroke him, I saw the signs before it happened and mid lunge rugby tackled him because i was to far away to restrain him. I held him down while i quickly checked if my aunt was ok and to come to terms with the situation. He was totally shocked, just stared at me like what happened there.

It was an impulsive response to avoid him attacking her face. Not proud of it, but for some reason it was the first thing that came to my mind, was to prevent him reaching my aunt. It happened in an instant and the first time such an event happened in the home.

It was really silly of me and he could have attacked me instead but i think we were both so surprised by what had just happened nothing came of it.

For a split second the only thing I cared about was preventing him reaching her and forgot all about my own safety

I wouldn't really call that an alpha roll exactly, as you just reacted to protect your aunt

Was he usually a bit fearful or "aggressive"? just wondering what happened.

Glad you were safe

Wys
x
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I would NEVER use it as a training technique or as discipline but, if I were to answer your poll as it is I'd have to say I do it regularly... I haven't voted because your poll doesn't include in play. Which I suppose is a whole other poll in itself! As in, do you play fight? For the record, I do because my dog and me have a trusting relationship gained by sensible training and we both know play wrestling is just a bit of fun with no-one getting hurt. When I wrestle Jake into a classic wrestling 'win' position, it's pretty clear he's not distressed and will quite willingly jump back up for round 2 or stop playing if instructed to do so. Especially if the referee (Mrs. C) declares the match over for fear of damage to the living room.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Does blowing raspberries on your dogs chest as he is on a his back after a wrestle mean i am Alpha ..lol
or just a muppet ..
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Lol only methods intended to exert your authority/dominance over your dog in order to show it whos boss are classed as alpha rolling for the purpose of this thread
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I wouldn't really call that an alpha roll exactly, as you just reacted to protect your aunt

Was he usually a bit fearful or "aggressive"? just wondering what happened.

Glad you were safe

Wys
x
A lot of things leading up to it as you can imagine. All of which I feel totally responsible for but my parents wouldn’t let me train him the way I wanted and did a lot of things I didn’t agree with. He had very strong herding instinct (came from a farm) and wasn't allowed to have a job (sorry should have mentioned he was a BC) His instinct and frustration grew and grew as he developed. It was the first time my aunt and uncle came round. We had had visitors before and he was fine with them. We told them about BenJay and they went all old fashioned. "you just need to stare the dog out" I was entirely against this but my mum and dad told him to try. My dad restraining BenJay as my uncle got right in his face staring straight into his eyes. BenJay of course reacted and would not back down, snarling and snapping, and quite rightly to. Eventually my uncle gave up (after what felt like a good 10 mins) and BenJay was put in the back garden to calm down. My dad and uncle sat in the conservatory, BenJay was bouncing up and down at the window snarling and barking at my uncle. He found another job to do (destroying the garden). After a while he was allowed back in to stop destroying things, and to show how different he was when doing obedience work (obviously because he was working his mind). He should have been on a lead being back in the same room- he wasnt. My aunt asked him to sit which he did, quite relaxed, she leaned her body forward to praise him, speaking to him looking directly at his face. The second she moved forward his body froze and I could forsee exactly what was about to happen. I shouted at my aunt to move while lunging myself at BenJay who was now mid air snarling, grabbed him and we both fell to the ground. I held him while everyone around me stared with shocked faces. I took him a walk afterwards just to get him away from it all.

Can you tell ive thought a lot about this Eventually he bit me, and gave my sister a bad bite. My mum said when they turn on the hand that feeds them theres no hope and made him out to be some savge beast and would not allow me to find a home for him (she wouldnt forgive herself if he mauled a child when we rehomed him), I was 14 at the time but was still adamant I would find him somewhere that was appropriate to his needs. The weekend he bit her he was PTS He died in my arms and was the best behaved boy while he was there :'( There were so many options, he could have been saved, it was our doing his behaviour, he shouldnt have died for it That was around 5 years ago and I still will never forgive myself. Which is why I feel so strongly about rescues and people buying BC's as pets without adequate research. I failed him, and will never allow anyone to tell me what to do with my dogs again if I feel its not right. Was one of the reasons I moved out with Muffin. Now im moving back home, they know I train my dogs, my way. He was my special boy, the dog I have felt the strongest connection to, and I lost him

Wow its been some time since ive properly spoke about this, sorry for the essay and far too much info given than needed lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Wow its been some time since ive properly spoke about this, sorry for the essay and far too much info given than needed lol
you have nothing to reproach yourself for. The adults failed you and your dog.
I`m sure we have all had situations we regret - things we wish had been handled better. I know I have.
Big hugs to you.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >