register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you Alpha Roll your dog?
No never and never will 43 89.58%
have done in the past but not needed to for a long time 4 8.33%
Yes do it regularly 0 0%
No, but would do if i thought it necessary 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:48 PM

"Alpha roll"

seeing as there seems to be a divide in training methods on here, im just curious to know how many of you, if any, have ever or currently use the "alpha roll"/ "dominant down" whatever you want to call it, with your dogs.
i have two rotts and two collies i do not nor have ever needed to do this. There are times when they are in trouble, usually when i have failed to spot a dog before them and they go bounding over lol (the rotts, that is, the collies dont really bother with other dogs), once i catch up to them, i do put them in a "normal down" but simply using my voice, they also usually roll over an submit when they see my "not so impressed face!". At the end of the day i have two powerful dogs who, if they chose, could easily overpower me, so alpha rolling is not a safe option (never mind the fact its unnatural and confusing for the poor dog!) which leads me to;... why on earth would you need to do it for any dog?!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Alpha rolling is for bullying Milan wannabes .
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry to be so dim - what exactly is the "Alpha Roll"?

I don't watch CM.

Whatever it is though - I am positive I've never used it!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:56 PM
There's a woman at ring craft with a BC thats dog aggressive and she does it all the time drives me insane, she reckons its got dog on dog fear aggression. makes no difference to the behaviour of the dog at all but wouldnt expect it too why would you force a dog down in front of other dogs if it was already scared.
I'd love to see it give her a taste of her own medicine.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
Sorry to be so dim - what exactly is the "Alpha Roll"?

I don't watch CM.

Whatever it is though - I am positive I've never used it!
You basically grab the dog and force it onto its back to "submit". Quite often the dog is held by the throat.

I answered for Rupert who I have never alpha rolled and never will. Even if I wanted to do it I don't have the strength to force him onto his back. It's nothing more than bullying imo.

However, Shadow was alpha rolled several times (and luckily for me he had excellent bite inhibition otherwise I'd be missing chunks of me). All it did was make him fight me. I didn't know any better at the time and the way he was trained is something I still feel guilty over now.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Never have, never would.

And if any trainer even suggested doing it to my dog, I'd be out of there quicker then you can say 'cesar milan'!

There are many stories of dog owners who have tried the 'alpha roll' only to end up being bitten really badly by their long suffering dogs.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I voted no.

The closest we get in this house is if we're snuggling and I roll them onto their backs and tickle their tummies! Which they seem to quite enjoy!

But to be serious, if Pepper is being a bit flighty or rough with the boys I sometimes put her into a down so she calms down, by put her into a down I mean give her the command not physically 'put'.

J.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:09 PM
My first experience of the alpha roll was when Darwin was a young pup,we had been told he was a dominant dog, my father in law out of the blue grabbed him and put him on his back saying if he gets cocky this is what you do.He wasn't doing anything at the time! Darwin wouldn't give in and for years after he would grumble at my father in law when he came,he is usually very friendly! Have never known him growl at any visitor other than him
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
You basically grab the dog and force it onto its back to "submit". Quite often the dog is held by the throat.
Harsh

I have never owned a dog that would need such forceful tactics. Mine respond to tone of voice - an "Oi" will often have them quaking in their paws
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I voted no.

The closest we get in this house is if we're snuggling and I roll them onto their backs and tickle their tummies! Which they seem to quite enjoy!

But to be serious, if Pepper is being a bit flighty or rough with the boys I sometimes put her into a down so she calms down, by put her into a down I mean give her the command not physically 'put'.

J.
exactly the same here

i have seen a "trainer" actually demonstrating the alpha roll on a pup to her class!!
i always tell people in my classes that its one of the best ways to terrorise your dog and eventually get bitten!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »